Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to dump and make HD texture?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, sorry for bad english i'm from brasil!

Well i want to start to make HD texture!

What i need to start?
I have photoshop and alot of plugins.
Sorry for noob asking...

Example, i checked the option dump textures, what i do now?
(01-14-2016, 11:58 AM)philc Wrote: [ -> ]Example, i checked the option dump textures, what i do now?

The textures are dumped in the "Documents/Dolphin Emulator/Dump/Textures/GameID/" folder. What you need to know is the name of the textures you want to modify. Once you create new textures and name them the same way as the originals, place them in theĀ "Documents/Dolphin Emulator/Load/Textures/GameID/" folder. You can use subfolders, and the textures can be made in DDS or PNG format (JPG too, but if it's going to be lossy, DDS is preferable).

Don't forget to enable "Load Custom Textures" in the graphics settings.
(01-15-2016, 05:09 AM)masterotaku Wrote: [ -> ]The textures are dumped in the "Documents/Dolphin Emulator/Dump/Textures/GameID/" folder. What you need to know is the name of the textures you want to modify. Once you create new textures and name them the same way as the originals, place them in theĀ "Documents/Dolphin Emulator/Load/Textures/GameID/" folder. You can use subfolders, and the textures can be made in DDS or PNG format (JPG too, but if it's going to be lossy, DDS is preferable).

Don't forget to enable "Load Custom Textures" in the graphics settings.

Thanks for that response. I was able to dump textures from the first portion of a game for which I'd like to create hi-res textures. I know the general idea (load into Photoshop, increase size x2 or x4 or other integer, redraw or use reference photo to paste) but does anyone know of some good resources? I couldn't find any videos about this on Youtube.

Also, I noticed that there were multiple sizes of the same texture. I assume these are used depending on what resolution or quality setting you would set it to in-game, or when objects are in the distance. Would you replace these with just one large texture, or would you make downscaled copies of your new texture to fit the old dimensions?
(01-30-2016, 04:31 AM)Azteca Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I noticed that there were multiple sizes of the same texture. I assume these are used depending on what resolution or quality setting you would set it to in-game, or when objects are in the distance. Would you replace these with just one large texture, or would you make downscaled copies of your new texture to fit the old dimensions?

Downscaled copies. They are mipmaps, and they avoid shimmering in textures at long distances.

By the way, you don't need to open the original textures. You can make a new file from scratch and give it the same name as the original texture.

About resources, no idea. The only textures I made myself were simple shapes or high resolution fonts. Nothing else.
google free textures

such as http://www.textures.com/

fyi that link is the first result on google.

Many come in hd.
I have a few guides on my channel. This is the most basic one.

Some tips

1.Start off with easy stuff like environment textures. They tend to be the easiest to find becuase they are usually the biggest.
2.Look carefully for watermarks on the textures.
3.Make sure textures are seamless (I also have a guide for this on my channel)

I have a few more tutorial videos. If you want to watch them, go to the "Lets create" playlist on my channel.

Here is an example of a texture with a watermark on it. TurboSquid has a really annoying one that can be hard to see at times.

[Image: cliff%20texture%2034.jpge6421410-d315-4f...iginal.jpg]
(02-03-2016, 10:49 PM)rlaugh0095 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a few guides on my channel. This is the most basic one.

Some tips

1.Start off with easy stuff like environment textures. They tend to be the easiest to find becuase they are usually the biggest.
2.Look carefully for watermarks on the textures.
3.Make sure textures are seamless (I also have a guide for this on my channel)

I have a few more tutorial videos. If you want to watch them, go to the "Lets create" playlist on my channel.

Here is an example of a texture with a watermark on it. TurboSquid has a really annoying one that can be hard to see at times.

[Image: cliff%20texture%2034.jpge6421410-d315-4f...iginal.jpg]

Thanks...

Nice tutorial Smile