Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Gamecube Homebrew Creation Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Tomato_Light

I guess this would go here, considering I can't think of where else it would go.

Anyway, I've already learned a lot of Gekko stuff. However, I don't know a lot about the Gamecube specific stuff. As such, I want to ask you about that. I already know the controller input format and address (not virtual) along with the S3 DXT1 format but that's really where it stops. So I guess I want to learn enough to make, say... a very polygonal image of the standard Gamecube Controller + an HUD displaying the values of each button, perhaps? That would be a good way to start.
So, I'd need to know the locations of the RAM, NVRAM, ROM and hardware registers that I can access. (virtual addresses, obviously) In addition, I'd need to know how to render polygons with textures as well as a 2D image in front of the 3D image used. Lastly, I would need to know how to make a program go through Dolphin OS instead of directly to the hardware.
Oh! And in case you are wondering why I haven't looked at the Dolphin source code, it's because I'm unable to understand C++ or whatever you used. (Well, I understand some C++ but even if I program only uses that, I just can't understand it for some reason. *shrugs*)

Anyway, thank you for looking over this! If anyone could help (although, I know that's kind of unlikely considering there would be a lot of information to convey), I would be most thankful
to make gc homebrew you need to
A) get devkitpro
B) know c++ or write the whole thing in asm

thats the only way i can think/know off

Tomato_Light

I knew I forgot to mention something! Anyway, I am using assembly. Sorry for forgetting to mention that directly (since I did mention I know Gekko, but whatever). In addition, I don't really like kits. I'll try this but personally, I prefer raw assembly. Thank you, anyway!

EDIT: Oh, it's a mailing list. Well that changes a lot! Thank you! If I have any trouble or what ever, I'll edit this post again or something.
EDIT 2: Or not? Well, that makes more sense. I hope I don't turn out to be wrong again in the future with this thing, again.
EDIT 3: (When will it end?) O.K., this seems to be used with GCC which is a compiler and not an assembler, so that's not helpful. (Not to mention, I know of a way to compile Gekko through GAS, which would be simpler.) If you want to prove me wrong, go ahead.

EDIT 4: Would it help for me to explain that I'm looking for certain things in programming it? (which are mentioned in the post above) To sum it up, I'm asking for the following:
-How Dolphin OS changes the way I would program? (aside from only using the UISA side)
-The virtual addresses of addresses that have point.
-SRAM
-ROM
-NVRAM
-the starting point of the hardware registers
-perhaps ARAM?
-How to make a textured polygon/multiple
-How to make a 2D overlay