Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: stuttering with HD texture pack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone !

I've got several stuttering when I launch WindWaker with the HD texture pack made by Hypatia. I've got 16 Gb of ram, an I7 4770k, a MSI GTX970 and I use dolphin 4.0-8642. Any solutions for my problem ?

Thanks !
Dolphin has to read the files from the disk and load them then. And that reading might slowdown it. A solution is to use the "prefetch textures"-option. It is in the same page where you can enable the custom textures and loads the textures at the beginning of the game to RAM, so reading is fast. You have 16 GB ram, you have a good chance that everything fits in it.
Thanks, I'll check it.
Hum it didn't work :/ . Maybe these HD textures need more than 16 Gb...
I'll try to reduce them.
I've never run into any textures that require more than around 4-5GB of RAM. Did you check "prefetch custom textures" and wait for them all to load? It takes around 40 seconds or so to cache it all.
(01-10-2016, 09:16 AM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]I've never run into any textures that require more than around 4-5GB of RAM. Did you check "prefetch custom textures" and wait for them all to load? It takes around 40 seconds or so to cache it all.

I played 10 mins. 10 minutes of stuttering. And I checked "prefetch custom textures".

But you can read this on the texture pack website :

Quote:i get stuttering when i use the mod, how do i fix this?
new versions of dolphin let you prefetch textures which fixes all stuttering. however you need over 24GB of RAM for it to work with this pack. Seriously i have 24GB and i still cant get it to load
(01-10-2016, 11:15 AM)Chonko Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2016, 09:16 AM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]I've never run into any textures that require more than around 4-5GB of RAM. Did you check "prefetch custom textures" and wait for them all to load? It takes around 40 seconds or so to cache it all.

I played 10 mins. 10 minutes of stuttering. And I checked "prefetch custom textures".

But you can read this on the texture pack website :

Quote:i get stuttering when i use the mod, how do i fix this?
new versions of dolphin let you prefetch textures which fixes all stuttering. however you need over 24GB of RAM for it to work with this pack. Seriously i have 24GB and i still cant get it to load

Have you played through those areas before?

If not then the stuttering would most likely be because Dolphin is dumping/caching all the shaders in the scenes.

Though if its the pack I'm thinking of, its partly because some of the textures are pointlessly huge, their size is crazy compared to the detail in some of them, even some of the almost entirely block colour ones.
Even when prefetched, very big textures will produce stutters because of the GPU's limited bandwidth n stuff.
If the textures are in PNG format, first thing you should do is convert them to DDS format (with Bighead's Custom Texture tool; you can find it here in the forums). If that doesn't completely fix it you can use the same tool go make the textures smaller.
(01-12-2016, 08:41 AM)StripTheSoul Wrote: [ -> ]Even when prefetched, very big textures will produce stutters because of the GPU's limited bandwidth n stuff.
If the textures are in PNG format, first thing you should do is convert them to DDS format (with Bighead's Custom Texture tool; you can find it here in the forums). If that doesn't completely fix it you can use the same tool go make the textures smaller.

He's got the 4K 2.8GB textures passworded.

Does anyone have any suggestions on that?
Please try not to resurrect old threads. See our rules about necroposting:

Quote:In the "Dolphin Emulator Discussion and Support" and "Dolphin Site" subforums, do not revive a discussion older than 6 months unless your post adds something meaningful or otherwise contributes to the thread. Please create a new thread about your subject instead. Stickied threads and all other subforums are exempt, however, and users can freely post there regardless of how old the topics are.

If you have question about someone's texture pack and the password, try PMing them directly instead of posting in an old thread. More often than not, people don't check old threads, so contacting them by PM is more effective.