Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: total noob to emulators.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I say noob I mean like starting yesterday. I have dolphin 4.0.2 x64 installed. I wanted to make sure that my computer is powerful enough to run some of the more graphic intense games (I am guessing they are more intense) I.E. Metroid Prime, Zelda Twilight princess. Have already tried out Metroid, it looks pretty but I am having some frame rate issues. It bounces back and fourth, between 60 fps and 15 ish fps. I looked at several videos and and threads but this is just kicking my but. I figured if I can get this game working I should be able to get any of them working....But before I go any further I just wanted to make sure my laptop is even worth using Dolphin on.

*edit* sorry forgot to enable my signature that shows my computer specs. Also if there is anything else that I should put there please let me know...
Your specs are more than okay for Dolphin.

First off, upgrade to the latest development release. 4.0.2 is two years old.

Second, what you're hitting is shader compilation, because the GC/Wii doesn't use shaders and computers do, we have to basically compile shaders as we need them, The first time you do this for every shader you need for a particular game your framerate will plummet. As you play the game though, that stutter will go away as we eventually cache up the shaders needed for that game.
(01-06-2016, 05:36 PM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]Your specs are more than okay for Dolphin.

First off, upgrade to the latest development release. 4.0.2 is two years old.

Second, what you're hitting is shader compilation, because the GC/Wii doesn't use shaders and computers do, we have to basically compile shaders as we need them, The first time you do this for every shader you need for a particular game your framerate will plummet. As you play the game though, that stutter will go away as we eventually cache up the shaders needed for that game.

Thanks for the response. I did download the most recent dev build (as of last night) That seemed to help alot.I didnt get any frame rate drop untill I got to the war wasp totem for my first set of missiles. I have a few more games to try out tonight. I never had a chance to try twilight princess so I am looking forward to that.
You will get frame dips during intensive moments I guarantee you of that with Metroid Prime. The best solution is what Helios recommended and to keep playing, by the time you know it the dips will be less noticeable as you progress in the game. Just wait till you get the power bombs and then tell me how your frames are doing.
the best is by far the ishiiruka build, the emulator has very nice extra features which the other usual emulator doesnt have + you won't get this dolphin stuttering as i had it.
(01-07-2016, 02:59 AM)cyrax33 Wrote: [ -> ]You will get frame dips during intensive moments I guarantee you of that with Metroid Prime. The best solution is what Helios recommended and to keep playing, by the time you know it the dips will be less noticeable as you progress in the game. Just wait till you get the power bombs and then tell me how your frames are doing.

Thanks for the info.. I have been playing it a little bit more and it does seem to be getting better...
(01-08-2016, 03:41 AM)i_like_Ike Wrote: [ -> ]the best is by far the ishiiruka build, the emulator has very nice extra features which the other usual emulator doesnt have + you won't get this dolphin stuttering as i had it.

If you don't mind gambling your play progress in a sitting with how often it crashes, sure.
(01-09-2016, 07:09 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-08-2016, 03:41 AM)i_like_Ike Wrote: [ -> ]the best is by far the ishiiruka build, the emulator has very nice extra features which the other usual emulator doesnt have + you won't get this dolphin stuttering as i had it.

If you don't mind gambling your play progress in a sitting with how often it crashes, sure.

it never crashed so far and i have it for about 3-4 months...
It's still less tested and as such less reliable. For example, I've had instant crashes at startup, whereas there is never such an important bug in master.
(01-12-2016, 02:16 AM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]It's still less tested and as such less reliable. For example, I've had instant crashes at startup, whereas there is never such an important bug in master.

strange, i never had a single crash i just experienced an insane amount of a performance boost a boost which the normal build can only dream of