Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How would an i3-6100 perform on Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

ClaireBear

Does anyone here have any clue how an i3-6100 would fare on Dolphin?
I can't find a benchmark of this specific CPU for Dolphin.

I'm considering upgrading to i3-6100 for it's price, but if it's no good then I guess I would consider i5-4690k.
It's twice the cost though leaving less room for other parts.

I'm using an old AMD CPU from six years ago so any Intel chip would be good at this point... I'm sure.

EDIT: I just received and installed my i3-6100 the other day. It was a huge, huge, pain in the butt since it's been so long since I've put together computer hardware and had forgotten some things that made it extremely inconvenient to get the computer working (particularly the OS) again but anyway...

Since my query was about i3-6100 performance I decided to bench it using...
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...un-30-2015

...and this is how it turned out in my case if anyone out there was wondering like I was.
It's not the best, but at least it's miles better than what I used to have.
Since Dolphin is a dual-core app the i3-6100 should perform very well, expect most (if not all) games running full speed due its high clock speed (3.7GHz). So, as far as Dolphin is concerned, the i3-6100 performance should be similar or better than i5-4690K at stock speeds and even through you can OC it, the price difference is not worth, I would get the i3-6100...
You'll also need a new motherboard as well as several other parts.
He'll need new motherboard anyways since his current CPU is an AMD. Another point for getting i3-6100, it's more future-proof...
Just wanted to point out that you can overclock an i3-6100 (and any other Skylake CPU, even if it's not unlocked) if you have a Z170 motherboard (but you do lose some features like the iGPU (bad idea with Dolphin anyway…), C-States and AVX2 becomes slow). It can match an i5 for single-thread and dual-thread performance when overclocked.

Also if you're planning on being really futureproof and are not only upgrading for Dolphin, the i5 4670K would be a better choice since you get 4 real cores and you can overclock it better than a non-K Skylake.
I own an i3 6100, can confirm running most games at 1080p 4xAA 2xAf and stable 60fps. PCSX2 also hassimilar results
(01-06-2016, 03:50 AM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]Also if you're planning on being really futureproof and are not only upgrading for Dolphin, the i5 4670K would be a better choice since you get 4 real cores and you can overclock it better than a non-K Skylake.

It's not future proof at all, no new processors will be released for LGA 1150 boards (Haswell/Broadwell), if he gets the i5-4670K and in future want to upgrade again his only option would be the i7-4790K which is really expensive and do not provide a noticeable performance diference at all (especially when considering Dolphin), any other CPU would need new motherboard and components. By buying an i3-6100 he has a lot more room for small upgrades (e.g. replacing only the CPU with any other Skylake based i5/i7 while maintaining the same mobo/RAM/etc. and potentially having compatibility with a new generation of Intel CPUs in future)...
He will get strong 4 threads performance with an i5. An i3 is a dual-core, SMT-enabled so their multi-thread performance is necessarily worse (unless Skylake is really that much better than Haswell?). Also the performance gap only reduces when when we compare an overclocked i3 6100 to a stock i5 4690K... if the i5 is overclocked, it will again perform better than the i3.

Which is what I was talking about when I said "futureproof" (and note that I precised "if you are not only upgrading for Dolphin"): if you ever need stronger single-thread performance in the future, just overclock the i5 a bit more. If you need 4 more threads, the i7-4790K should be more than enough and does offer more performance. Having 8 threads is just not useful for Dolphin, games and other software which are not multithreaded, but the same cannot be said if you're going to use it for something else like VMs, video editing, encoding, etc.

But yeah, for Dolphin, who cares? The i3 6100, overclocked or not, will handle it just fine.
You didn't get my point. By going with an i3-6100 now (and buying the required components) in future he can just swap the i3-6100 with any other i5 or i7 based on Skylake (and also potentially having compatibility with the next generation of Intel CPUs which will remain on LGA 1151), without needing any new components besides the CPU. If he chooses the i5-4690K and in future wants to replace this CPU with a better one he would need a completely new build again (new motherboard, new RAM, etc)...
Ah, I see! I think we just didn't mean the same thing with "futureproof". For me it meant being able to run things just fine for the next few years, but I understand what you mean now.
Pages: 1 2