Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will my Upgrade run Dolphin flawlessly (for the most part)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys

I'm planning on upgrading my PC for a number of reasons and one of them is my system stutters when playing certain games on Dolphin. And they aren't small simple stutters, I'm actually talking about heavy frame drops to about 30-40 fps (if that) 

Now, I'm relatively familar with Dolphin as I've been using it for about 4-5 years now and I've tried virtually every different setting and it still lags. So just to make sure, I'm coming here to verify that my upgrade will be able to run most (if not all games) at full speed at about 2-3x IR.

The games I was talking about btw were:
Samurai Warriors 3
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
Mario Galaxy 1&2
Mario Kart Wii (when I started to bump up the IR)

My upgraded rig will be

i7 2700k (as I already have a z77 board and I found a 2700k for dirt cheap)
16gb of RAM (because I video edit)
R9 290x (again because I found it for really cheap)
500gb SSD blah blah etc.

So looking at this, I should be able to run most games fine now right? Becuase my current rig met the requirements for Dolphin but it still lagged for certain games.

Thanks.
CPU is more than enough for Dolphin, same for the GPU… That build should definitely run most if not all games at full speed! Just make sure you are using the latest development builds. (You might still have some small stuttering caused by shader compilation, but you probably already know this)

Just curious, how much did you find the CPU and GPU for?
(01-03-2016, 09:23 AM)Way2much Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys

I'm planning on upgrading my PC for a number of reasons and one of them is my system stutters when playing certain games on Dolphin. And they aren't small simple stutters, I'm actually talking about heavy frame drops to about 30-40 fps (if that) 

Now, I'm relatively familar with Dolphin as I've been using it for about 4-5 years now and I've tried virtually every different setting and it still lags. So just to make sure, I'm coming here to verify that my upgrade will be able to run most (if not all games) at full speed at about 2-3x IR.

If your profile is up to date and you're still using 3.5-1664, please switch to the current dev version. The 3.5-1664 is ancient and there have been a lot of advancements made since. I wouldn't be surprised if the problems went away.

As for the planned new build, the 2700K is really old, and the newer generations will bring noticeably better performance. If you got the 2700K for really cheap, like 50$ cheap, then I can recommend it. However, the Pentium G3258 costs 60$ and is one of the best processors for Dolphin if oveclocked. So if this computer is only used for Dolphin (or other lighter tasks) then there isn't really a reason not to go with the G3258 and a cheap GPU like a GTX 750 Ti or R9 270X.
(01-03-2016, 09:54 PM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]CPU is more than enough for Dolphin, same for the GPU… That build should definitely run most if not all games at full speed! Just make sure you are using the latest development builds. (You might still have some small stuttering caused by shader compilation, but you probably already know this)

Just curious, how much did you find the CPU and GPU for?

Thanks for the confirmation man. I live in the UK and I found my CPU for £80 and the GPU for £140. You can convert that into whatever currency you use lol but it's a bargain where I'm from.
(01-03-2016, 10:09 PM)ENAI Wrote: [ -> ]

If your profile is up to date and you're still using 3.5-1664, please switch to the current dev version. The 3.5-1664 is ancient and there have been a lot of advancements made since. I wouldn't be surprised if the problems went away.

As for the planned new build, the 2700K is really old, and the newer generations will bring noticeably better performance. If you got the 2700K for really cheap, like 50$ cheap, then I can recommend it. However, the Pentium G3258 costs 60$ and is one of the best processors for Dolphin if oveclocked. So if this computer is only used for Dolphin (or other lighter tasks) then there isn't really a reason not to go with the G3258 and a cheap GPU like a GTX 750 Ti or R9 270X.
If I was just using emulators, I would definitely get the G3258 but I'm a video editor man xD Dual core simply doesn't cut it there (at all) so I have to get an i7. If I didn't already have a z77 board, I'd probably just get a newer i7 like Skylake but since I have the board, I don't see the point in getting a new board AND a new cpu. Especially when Sandy Bridge can realistically hit 5.0ghz with good cooling.

And I need to update my profile lol, I'm using the latest dev build and I still experience the issues so I have to upgrade lol.
(01-04-2016, 03:23 AM)Way2much Wrote: [ -> ]If I was just using emulators, I would definitely get the G3258 but I'm a video editor man xD Dual core simply doesn't cut it there (at all) so I have to get an i7. If I didn't already have a z77 board, I'd probably just get a newer i7 like Skylake but since I have the board, I don't see the point in getting a new board AND a new cpu. Especially when Sandy Bridge can realistically hit 5.0ghz with good cooling.

Yeah well if that's the case, then you should definitely go with the i7, you just didn't mention anything specific outside of Dolphin in the post Big Grin For 80 pounds the 2700K is a good find.
(01-04-2016, 04:05 AM)ENAI Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2016, 03:23 AM)Way2much Wrote: [ -> ]If I was just using emulators, I would definitely get the G3258 but I'm a video editor man xD Dual core simply doesn't cut it there (at all) so I have to get an i7. If I didn't already have a z77 board, I'd probably just get a newer i7 like Skylake but since I have the board, I don't see the point in getting a new board AND a new cpu. Especially when Sandy Bridge can realistically hit 5.0ghz with good cooling.

Yeah well if that's the case, then you should definitely go with the i7, you just didn't mention anything specific outside of Dolphin in the post  Big Grin For 80 pounds the 2700K is a good find.

I actually did in the RAM section but it doesn't matter lol. And yeah, its definitely a bargain imo. Sandy Bridge is still viable with the right overclock so I'm not too worried.
(01-04-2016, 03:23 AM)Way2much Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-03-2016, 10:09 PM)ENAI Wrote: [ -> ]

If I was just using emulators, I would definitely get the G3258 but I'm a video editor man xD Dual core simply doesn't cut it there (at all) so I have to get an i7. If I didn't already have a z77 board, I'd probably just get a newer i7 like Skylake but since I have the board, I don't see the point in getting a new board AND a new cpu. Especially when Sandy Bridge can realistically hit 5.0ghz with good cooling.

And I need to update my profile lol, I'm using the latest dev build and I still experience the issues so I have to upgrade lol.
Update, I missed out on the cheap R9 290x =( As the guy sold it to someone else, so I ended up getting a  GTX 670 OC instead. Will I still be alright?
Your i7 will run pretty much any game. The most demanding games (like The Last Story, Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy 2) will need an overclock of about 4.3 -4.5 to be smooth. I'm basing that on my experience with my i5 2500K rig.
(01-12-2016, 10:59 AM)Megapsychotron Wrote: [ -> ]Your i7 will run pretty much any game. The most demanding games (like The Last Story, Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy 2) will need an overclock of about 4.3 -4.5 to be smooth. I'm basing that on my experience with my i5 2500K rig.

That's the kind of overclock I was planning to do or maybe a bit more because I have liquid cooling. I was more concerned about my GPU as that was what was bottlenecking me before. Will a GTX 670 Overclocked be enough for like 4x IR?
Pages: 1 2