Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will this run most wii games decently? (Alienware 14)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just got an Alienware 14 for fairly cheap to replace a different laptop since needed something capable but not 15 pounds like my ASUS G751..

Anyways, curious if should expect it to be able to run things like MKWii and Brawl, though wasn't my purchasing intent.

Specs are:

i5-4210M (dual core+hyperthreading)
GTX 765M
16GB RAM
Windows 10 (might look into if I can get 7 or 8 on it.. but for now)
You should be fine, but you can get better devices for the price you paid for it
(12-30-2015, 12:42 PM)piccolo289 Wrote: [ -> ]You should be fine,  but you can get better devices for the price you paid for it.
Unless you're a telepath, which I seriously doubt you are, I didn't post the price I paid.
This was the best I could get at the moment for $600. Next step up (Y..50?) was closer to $700.
Thank you for answering my question, and sorry, just a bit tired of copy-pasted replies.
You should choose Clevo instead , it's more durable and cheaper than alienware .
I bought my Iiyama 13x7000 (Jap Version of Clevo W230SS : US or Schenker XMG P304 : Germany) for only $750 , weight only 4.4 pounds. Of course , a used one because new one would cost $1600
IMO , Clevo > MSI > Acer V Nitro > Asus ROG > Alienware > Lenovo Y50
Back to topic , your notebook should run most games well as long as it does not throttle itself due to overheating
Gaming notebook can overheat when running game , the Asus ROG series is not an exception , same deal to MSI and Alienware .... If your thermal paste wear out , your notebook will overheat . OEM thermal paste is usually crap . If possible , you should remove thermal paste and reapply sth can last up to 8 years like Arctic MX-4 or IC diamond 7 carat
(12-30-2015, 04:56 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]You should choose Clevo instead , it's more durable and cheaper alienware .
I bought my Iiyama 13x7000 (Jap Version of Clevo W230SS : US or Schenker XMG P304 : Germany) for only $750 , weight only 4.4 pounds. Of course , a used one because new one would cost $1600
IMO , Clevo > MSI > Acer V Nitro > Asus ROG > Alienware > Lenovo Y50
Back to topic , your notebook should run most games well as long as it does not throttle itself due to overheating
Gaming notebook can overheat when running game , the Asus ROG series is not an exception , same deal to MSI and Alienware .... If your thermal paste wear out , your notebook will overheat . OEM thermal paste is usually crap . If possible , you should remove thermal paste and reapply sth can last up to 8 years like Arctic MX-4 or IC diamond 7 carat
No comparable clevos for sale in budget at the time=no purchase, did you read the post and replies?.. And.. $750>$600.. We could play the "spend a little more to get more" game all day and end up at a GT80 TITAN with SLI 980Ms.. The higher priced things were simply out of budget =/  $600 was the cap.

Had I been buying new? Of course I wouldn't be going alienware (unless they somehow ended up with the best cost/performance, which is rare to happen), but here it was the best I could get within my budget.
I'm familiar with the maintenance of the cooling, although thank you for mentioning that in case I didn't. (looking out to make sure I knew. no sarcasm, really!)

I'm mostly just unfamiliar with the CPU the laptop has, it's a dual core hyperthreaded haswell i5, past that, I'm not sure, aside it not being a ULV model.
The graphics 'card' as far as I know is roughly a GTX650ti.

[Off topic] Isn't the Acer Nitro one of those ultrabooky gaming laptops?.. there's no way those would cool as well as a G751 under similar conditions.
Laptop is terrible. I have the i7 Alienware 14. Overheats a lot, hate it. It throttled loads of times. The i7 just about played games. Trust, Alienware 14 was terrible.