Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: are there any games with no fps cap?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
looking for games to use the cpu overclock on.
No FPS cap, you mean games that run at variable frame rates? If I recall correctly, the multiplayer for Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast on the Gamecube does. If you're talking about Dolphin's feature to overclock the PowerPC CPU, this would be a good candidate to try.
(12-27-2015, 05:05 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]No FPS cap, you mean games that run at variable frame rates? If I recall correctly, the multiplayer for Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast on the Gamecube does. If you're talking about Dolphin's feature to overclock the PowerPC CPU, this would be a good candidate to try.

Yep. But don't some games with variable frame rates still have a cap?
The GC could only output video signals to a display a certain amount of times per second. This would be a limitation of the GC hardware and the display hardware. Internally, however, it could generate as many frames as it has cycles to process; it just means not every frame makes it to output. Hope that makes sense.
(12-27-2015, 07:47 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]The GC could only output video signals to a display a certain amount of times per second. This would be a limitation of the GC hardware and the display hardware. Internally, however, it could generate as many frames as it has cycles to process; it just means not every frame makes it to output. Hope that makes sense.

I was just wondering if there are any games that can go above 60fps without hacks other than cpu speed increase.
That's really more of a PC thing where games can give a variably smooth framerate based upon the power of the user's PC. Console games have no reason to do that, because every console has exactly the same hardware, so the game will have identical performance for every user. As such, console games are usually designed to meet whatever maximum framerate the hardware can handle for that game.
Are looking for a game that can used to benchmark?
Try 4x4 Evo2. iirc some need for speed also has variable fps...