Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I'm at a loss here
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(12-27-2015, 03:43 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]If you're posting this because you think you were banned, that was a bug. Everybody got banned due to some stuff going on with the forum software atm.

No, I only thought that because I was upset the other day, thinking others couldn't reproduce the issue until I found what revision broke THPS3, I thought my getting annoyed was grounds for getting in trouble, that's all. My deepest apologies =/
You can always attach a Fifo log to issues that you have. This way the people testing can run the same spot you're in to see if their system can reproduce the bug
There's no need to take any feedback like "I can't reproduce it." personally.

To start, such feedback is often just another way to say "we need more details about your reproduction".
What OS? How much RAM? What CPU? What GPU? What GPU driver? What Chipset Driver? What security software is installed?
What GPU driver settings?

There are often so many factors that the developers don't want to hunt down every permutation. Add to that the fact that users
often unknowingly have data corruption or malware affecting their systems and you have a recipe for a lot of wild goose chases.

The other aspect, that may go unwritten, is that there are vested interests in making open source projects look bad to end-users.
So all bug reports have to be treated with suspicion lest some game developer who wants this project to die flood the site with phony
bug reports tying up developers and scaring away new users (possibly new developers too).

So if two or more people cannot reproduce the reported issue, it is eligible to fall into one of the above buckets. Only more specific data
can help. And no, a video wont help unless "all the above" are covered in the video too. (And even then, data corruption or malware (etc) wont
be visible in a video just as they aren't visible to you as a user.) There may be cases where the answer is "nobody knows, nobody can reproduce,
take your PC to a repair center and make sure it's working as expected" or "nobody knows, nobody can reproduce, you'll need to get your hands
dirty and run a debug build then analyze the logs locally and try to answer for yourself".

As stated above, even if it seems hopeless; if you report the issue and a year later someone encounters the same problem then you've
begun the process of collecting survey data on the problem.

And finally, if you don't try older versions to pinpoint the one where it worked (if ever), then you are asking someone else to do that for you and most folks
don't bother with that type of request unless they are paid to.

(Comments not necessarily directed at the OP, just general provisos for end-user to developer relations.)
Pages: 1 2