Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wouldn't the xbox theoretically be the easiest console to emulate?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I mean Ive read that it is basically a Coppermine pentium 3, a cut down geforce 3, and 64 mb ram. I mean i know next to nothing about emulation so i'd guess it would be harder than i make it out to be.
Nope. Pretty sure the GPU is pretty custom and there's not a great deal of documentation on it.
NV this was more of a question of why the XQEMU is in such an early state, not if there are any xbox emulators

Edit: AAAAANNNNNDDD OFC the 6th link there is a reddit article. Oh well, reddit is blocked on my pc anyway
Quote:Wouldn't the xbox theoretically be the easiest console to emulate?

No.
(12-20-2015, 03:44 AM)piccolo289 Wrote: [ -> ]I mean Ive read that it is basically a Coppermine pentium 3, a cut down geforce 3, and 64 mb ram. I mean i know next to nothing about emulation so i'd guess it would be harder than i make it out to be.

Yeah, it's a lot harder than what you're making it out to be.  The x86 architecture is common....but the instruction sets amounts are huge.  If there was reliable documentation, I guess it would make it easier to emulate the CPU...but since the Xbox has very little in terms of a roadmap, it'll take a long while before the instruction set is mapped.

Theoretically?  Sure...with the proper documentation.  In practice...nope.
Bar Halo,.most games already available on PC too.
(12-20-2015, 06:20 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Wouldn't the xbox theoretically be the easiest console to emulate?

No.

This.

Btw, why can we be able to emulate GameCube and PS2 but not XBox? The main argument of this article is the lack of documentation to understand how things works. So we have to use reverse engineering, guessing, and very few open source stuff. But, this also applies for GameCube and PS2 so why such a big gap between emulators ?
(12-20-2015, 09:11 PM)Zee530 Wrote: [ -> ]Bar Halo,.most games already available on PC too.

Halo 1 and 2 are on PC. The original Xbox doesn't have anymore Halo games.
I can count the number of exclusives on I really want to play with 1 hand, and sorta want to play with 2.  That's why.  The Ouya would probably be even easier, but no one would GAF.
Pages: 1 2