Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is it true AMD processor is not suitable for dolphin emulator?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

azzhaff

I'm planning to build a new pc. So my friend suggest me to get Fx 8320 with gpu R9 380x. But after browsing through website, i found that some of them saying amd is not suitable for dolphin emulator. even at FAQ page also stated as that fx series will be around half of the speed of the 4670k's perfomance. Is it true? So Fx 8320 won't be able to run dolphin at decent fps? Huh
The FX-8320 will be ble to run dolphin, but the core i3 4130 overshadows it in dolphin. I'd just go with the Core i5 option, much more futureproof
This is true. At stock clocks you'll have some pretty annoying slowdowns due to AMDs awful IPC. To get close to low end Intel chips in dolphin, you have to overclock. A lot.
Yes it's true, AMD chips are not ideal for Dolphin Emulation. I currently have a FX 8350 @4.0 Ghz as my main desktop PC and it does run most games I throw at it pretty well. That being said, I also have an overclocked Intel Haswell G3258 at 4.0Ghz...and it runs every single game better than the FX 8350. I get consistently higher and more stable FPS. I'll be replacing my FX 8350 pretty soon with an i7 4790k.

So, I guess it all boils down to what you want. Personally, I wouldn't recommend the FX 8320. I would hold off a bit, save some more money, and plunk down the extra $100 - $200 and get an Intel i-series chip. If I had to do it over again, I would not have built an AMD FX system 2 years ago. At the time, I wasn't heavily into Dolphin emulation, but had I just went with the Intel to begin with, it would have accommodated my unforeseen future interests. If you're within a reasonable driving distance to a Microcenter, they currently have an i5 4670k on sale for $180...about $30 - $60 more than the FX 8320. I think the extra $60 bucks for an i5 4670k is well worth it.

azzhaff

So if i pick i5 4670k with gpu R9 380, can it run Dolphin very well? And can it play latest game with hight or medium setting at least?
(12-15-2015, 02:40 AM)azzhaff Wrote: [ -> ]So if i pick i5 4670k with gpu R9 380, can it run Dolphin very well? And can it play latest game with hight or medium setting at least?

I have no clue what your friend has been telling you in terms of performance. However, personally speaking. Coming from an fx-8350 to an i5-4670k? The difference is far from marginal. I was able to run all of the newest games (paired with a GTX 970) at high, if not maxed, at 60+ FPS.
(12-15-2015, 02:40 AM)azzhaff Wrote: [ -> ]So if i pick i5 4670k with gpu R9 380, can it run Dolphin very well? And can it play latest game with hight or medium setting at least?

Unlike CPUs, you can use AMD GPUs for Dolphin without having worse performance. That GPU is powerful enough to run most games just fine even with a higher IR and enhancements. However, if you're ever going to run Linux… avoid AMD GPUs at any cost. Their driver is basically garbage and causes crashes (and the performance is not that good).

Yup, you'll be very happy with the performance with that setup.  If you can swing it, get a Z series motherboard.  You may want to overclock your CPU one day.

Anyway, I would unfriend the the person who recommended the AMD setup.  

azzhaff

ok guys. Thanks for the opinions. I think i know now which one should I get. Well my friend recommends me with AMD processor because it is far cheaper than Intel. But i was not so sure how far the power difference between them. So i will be getting I5 4670k or 6600k. If i have enough money i will buy r9 380 instead of R7 360. well R7 360 is not bad right?.
Yeah, the R7 360 will be fine for Dolphin. Dolphin performance hinges more on CPU than GPU. If you plan on playing other PC games tho...you may want to stick with the R9 380 instead.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5