Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is i5 6600k good for dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Pupuja

Hello i need to buy a new pc and i would like to play dolphin at good speed with it i was thinking of something along the lines of this
i5-6600k @ 3.9 GHz
MSI MB - B150M PRO-VD
2x8 Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury 2133Mhz
EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX970 SC GAMING 4Gb DDR5 256bit
1TB WD Blue 7200rpm
I am corrently using
Phenom x2 @ 3.7
2x2 Gb DDR3 Kingston
Msi N210 1Gb DDR3
Yes, it's a monster.
Btw, do you know about the VRAM issue of GTX 970?
Yes, it should be able to run everything you throw at it just fine. Especially when compared to your previous specs…
(12-09-2015, 10:25 PM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, it's a monster.

Is it really an issue?  I think it's misleading to say that it's 4gb of vram....but I wouldn't call it an issue.
I believe it will start stuttering if the vram get filled up.

Pupuja

No i didn't know about the issue

Pupuja

(12-10-2015, 01:13 AM)sulblazer Wrote: [ -> ]

Is it really an issue?  I think it's misleading to say that it's 4gb of vram....but I wouldn't call it an issue.

So do you think that i should stick with GTX 970 or go with something from AMD
Heads up, you're pairing a K-series processor with a motherboard that doesn't support overclocking, well technically you could by upping the BLCK, but you won't reach your full CPU overclocking potential. You need a motherboard with a Z170 chipset.
What resolution do you game at? The GTX970, despite the misleading is still a great card. If you can grab an equivalent (or better) AMD card for cheaper then that might be an option. For me, well, I'd still go with NVIDIA.

Pupuja

(12-10-2015, 04:54 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Heads up, you're pairing a K-series processor with a motherboard that doesn't support overclocking, well technically you could by upping the BLCK, but you won't reach your full CPU overclocking potential. You need a motherboard with a Z170 chipset.
What resolution do you game at? The GTX970, despite the misleading is still a great card. If you can grab an equivalent (or better) AMD card for cheaper then that might be an option. For me, well, I'd still go with NVIDIA.

I will game at 2560 x 1440 for now i'm gaming at 720p because my graphics card that i use now isn't really good at higher resolutions and i was thinking of getting an Z170 motherboard for overclocking but i don't know if it is worth it because i think that 3.5 Ghz is enough then again i can be mistaken this is my first gaming pc build so i'm little new to this thing
The 970 issue is blown out of proportion. It's been somewhat fixed in drivers, and only reproducible in horribly designed PC ports.

Ignore them.

The 970 will do fine.

Anyways, if you're getting a K-class CPU, it's a good idea to match it with an overclock capable chipset. My 4790k runs at 4.0 ghz stock just fine. And it's the previous generation. While performance hasn't gotten leaps and bounds better from Haswell -> Skylake, you'll likely be fine at stock clocks, especially because Intel does that Turbo boost deal.

My recommendation would be to go for a chipset that *can* overclock, but don't bother overclocking until you run into something that needs just a *little* more power, which you won't. For a long time.
Pages: 1 2