Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 2015: Which CPU is good enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hey everyone! I am new to the forums, but not to the emulator.

My request here is I plan on making a new desktop computer with the parts that I planned, what I don't know is what CPU to choose. Here are the specs of my current system as of today:

CPU: AMD Athlon 5350
GPU: ZOTAC Getforce 610 Series
RAM 4 GBs
Motherboard: MSI AM1i

Here's the hardware I want to get:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
GPU: MSI NVidia GTX TITAN X
RAM: 8 GBs
OS Same as above
Motherboard: MSI Z170A TITANIUM Edition

Here's the CPUs I don't know what to get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...k=i5-4670k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819117369

So, the question is,

All the hardware I want to get, is it more than enough for what I need, or do I need to choose a different CPU and start over? The planned CPU and motherboard sockets are LGA 1151, the two links above are LGA 1150, and I don't think I would be able to put a LGA 1150 CPU into a LGA 1151 motherboard. I also want to know that when I'm recording Open Broadcaster Software videos, is the hardware best to use so when I'm recording my computer or not, can I play the games like Mario Sunshine, Wario World, Sonic and The Black Knight and Super Mario Galaxy without any lag or slowdowns, or do I need another CPU to choose from?

I would like a reply as soon as possible, thanks!
First of all, you're better off getting the i5-4690K and not the i5-4670K as it's newer and more refined. The i5-4690K would be great for dolphin, overclocking can further help. I'd recommend the skylake i5-6600K though, as they're newer and will offer slightly better performance. The i7 isn't really beneficial for dolphin. Only difference is more cores and hyperthreading, which dolphin doesn't benefit from. The only benefit dolphin has is the increased clock speed, but overclocking can sort that.
Normally I would also recommend the i5 instead of an i7 but in the case that you record video and/or do high-quality streams while you game, it would be wiser to go with the hyper-threaded alternative. The i7 essentially has four "extra" cores that will be able to take over OBS while the others run whatever game is played. This is not as much of a problem with Dolphin as it only runs on two cores, but if you want to use OBS while playing demanding pc games, an i7 (or an i7-based Xeon, like the 1231v3) is the way to go. If you live near a Microcenter store, they seem to have quite a deal on the 4790K. http://www.microcenter.com/product/43417..._Processor

And as an added tip, do not buy the Titan X. It is a complete waste of money as the GTX 980 Ti performs near identically and costs two thirds of what a Titan X goes for.
(12-03-2015, 08:33 AM)ENAI Wrote: [ -> ]Normally I would also recommend the i5 instead of an i7 but in the case that you record video and/or do high-quality streams while you game, it would be wiser to go with the hyper-threaded alternative. The i7 essentially has four "extra" cores that will be able to take over OBS while the others run whatever game is played. This is not as much of a problem with Dolphin as it only runs on two cores, but if you want to use OBS while playing demanding pc games, an i7 (or an i7-based Xeon, like the 1231v3) is the way to go. If you live near a Microcenter store, they seem to have quite a deal on the 4790K. http://www.microcenter.com/product/43417..._Processor

And as an added tip, do not buy the Titan X. It is a complete waste of money as the GTX 980 Ti performs near identically and costs two thirds of what a Titan X goes for.

Okay, so you mean, "Don't get what you plan on getting because it might be the wisest choice." Is there a CPU with the "threading" thing, Intel Quick Sync Video, Virtualzation Technology and with Intel 64 that I can get? What prefered CPUs does the program reccomend, and does that CPU have those features? Are you telling me that I need to start from scratch by getting something that might help for the program, because if that's a yes, okay then. The Z170A Titanium motherboard by MSI only supports LGA 1151 CPUs, and the best ones for Dolphin are 1150.

Last question: What GPU works 100% better, and would I need the "threading" thing for OBS to record while I use the emulator without any issues?
Actually a Titan X overclocked is equal to a R9-295x2 but whatevs

Do you plan on doing more gaming other then Dolphin on this build?
So in short, your goal is to stream with Dolphin. If that's the case and cost is not a concern, I think the hardware you want to get is more than enough.
(12-03-2015, 09:09 AM)sulblazer Wrote: [ -> ]So in short, your goal is to stream with Dolphin.  If that's the case and cost is not a concern, I think the hardware you want to get is more than enough.

Yes, I would like to build a custom-made gaming desktop PC with the best hardware I can find. I also want to use Open Broadcaster Software to stream videos while I use the emulators without any lag/slowdowns.

Things I want in a chosen CPU:
Intel Quick Sync
Virtualization Technology
The "threading" thing ENAI said
Intel 64

If anyone has a link to a LGA 1151/LGA 1150 Intel processor with these things, send me a link.
(12-03-2015, 09:02 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually a Titan X overclocked is equal to a R9-295x2 but whatevs

Do you plan on doing more gaming other then Dolphin on this build?

Yes, I also plan on making a computer using the PCSX2 program that is a PS2 emulator. Two emulators in one desktop computer, one program to record them.
The i7-6700k you picked has everything you want. It's quicksync performance is better then Haswell's and the image quality is also better.
(12-03-2015, 10:57 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]The i7-6700k you picked has everything you want. It's quicksync performance is better then Haswell's and the image quality is also better.

So does this mean I don't need to look for different hardware, and will the emulator's games work perfect depending on what game I play?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5