Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: First skylake gaming PC build (under 1000)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone, been a console gamer since the NES era and now switching to PC gaming. My situation is a bit complex. I am currently studying in Japan however I live in Southeast Asia. With that said, the case and the monitor is fixed. However, the rest Ill be buying them in Japan. Here is my prospective build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynZ699. I want to build a gaming PC under 1000 US dollars including the monitor which I have said before is fixed since Ill be buying the case and the monitor in Southeast Asia. I have chosen skylake because I have way too many GameCube,PS2 and Wii games lying around and I still play them sometimes on the consoles but it would be nice to play it at 1080p 60FPS. I don't really care about twitch or 1440p, I just love playing single player games like AC or borderlands at 1080p. So basically all I'm looking for here is to able to run emulators smoothly and play third person action games at 1080p 60FPS with no hiccups. Very new to PC gaming so really need advice particularly on whether or not I should go with the OC option for i5 6600k if OC is not necessary then Ill just go with i5 6600 but spend more on the GPU upgrading to r9 380x? However, I will still need the CPU fan I guess since it is very hot in Southeast Asia. I would love to play Mario Galaxy smoothly at 1080p. From reading the forum some say OC is necessary while others say its not so Im not really sure.
Seems like a pretty good build to me. That GPU should be fine for pretty much whatever you throw at it. Stick with the i5-6600K, as overclocking is always a free speed-up whenever you get CPU bound.
You may want to throw in some aftermarket CPU paste like Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound, as it will better transfer heat than what you get with stock parts.
IIRC the paste Cooler Master ships with their 212 series is pretty good. I wouldn't bikeshed about that.

Your CPU will be fine to play Super Mario Galaxy at whatever settings you'd like.
The power supply is unnecessarily powerful, a 550W-600W would be just fine if you want to save a couple of bucks. Whether to OC or not is just a personal preference. Unlike some people, I'd just go for the non-K since even at stock it will be powerful enough for years to come. So, if you think that you will be able to upgrade in say, five years, then you won't need the OC at any point. Also, if you don't overclock you can settle with a cheaper motherboard and (possibly) just a stock LGA 1150 cooler.
Thanks for the all reply it kind of seems that most people think the stock clock of 3.5 GHz is sufficient to run wii games smoothly. If this is the case then I wont OC. I still feel hiccups on the latest build when playing with my i7 4710HQ gaming laptop. The base clock is 2.5GHz with a speed boost of 3.5 GHz so hopefully the i5 6600 will get rid of the hiccups (1-3 fps drop occasionally)
I have an intel i7-4700MQ and yeah, the performance is brilliant but it's not perfect. I am also upgrading to an i5-6600k and GTX 970. I'm getting it at christmas.