Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mem cards not saving (GC)...driving me crazy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All,

I am using 4.0-8059 on Win 7 but have used newer and older builds but the issue persists. I am hoping your guidance can help.

The game doesn't matter but in the screenies I am playing Resident Evil 4 (GC) and my saves are never loadable (not savestates...mem card saves). I have moved the mem cards out of My Docs and put them in other locations and even given full owner and rights to "everyone" to the mem card location but it never seems to work. Here is my issue,

When I go to load a game, no saves are found:
[Image: Untitled.png]

But when I go to save, it finds a save...its fucking maddening because if its there, then show it upon game boot...right?!:
[Image: Untitled1.png]

I am no n00b to Dolphin, emulation or Windows, so its got me wanting to murder shit, lol. What am I doing wrong?

PS,
I have not disabled the "global directory" reg key

Thanks in advance!
Bumping after a day...anyone have any ideas? I know its my machine and/or settings and I totally own that but I am really hoping to get this fixed with your collective expertise Smile
Have you tried using the Memory Cards as folders? In Dolphin's Config tab, you can choose the dropdown for Memry card type. Choose GCI folder and it will automatically convert for you. See if that works
Interesting result. The first save, had no issues saving but the second save, Dolphin froze and when I hit ESC, This popped up:

It then pops up again once I click OK and seems to write the data twice according to the yellow letters on the top left of Dolphin.

When I reload the game, the saves still aren't there. Thoughts?
It still looks like permissions are somehow to blame. Do you have some sort of antivirus or other program set to uber paranoid mode? Failure to create, read, or write files is likely related to permissions. You could try disabling the UAC to see if that fixes it, I suppose.
I can create, delete, etc any files there, I have made the owner of the folder and files "Everyone" and given full permissions. I use no antivirus and UAC is always disabled on my machine. Its a fresh OS install as well (Win 7) but this was happening with the old OS too. I am not entirely sure that permissions are to blame. In the below screenshot, you can see how 2 files were created while playing RE4 and one of them was modified (my save) so it looks like creating and modifying are working as expected...

As a test, I moved my epsxe and jnes emulators to this gci folder location. They were able to save files fine and load them without issue so I am almost positive that permissions arent the issue.
(11-25-2015, 09:21 AM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting result. The first save, had no issues saving but the second save, Dolphin froze and when I hit ESC, This popped up:

It then pops up again once I click OK and seems to write the data twice according to the yellow letters on the top left of Dolphin.

When I reload the game, the saves still aren't there. Thoughts?

That something up with the games save, seems likely to be a bad dump.
What's the md5 of the game?

renaming to anythingHere.gci may fix it. It being ignored because it doesn't have the gci file extension
I did just copy my games from my NAS because my HDD crashed. Its possible the dump is shitty...let me look:

Damn, MD5 matches redump:
22db91d40629df75e63a019e0f9d72f5

Hmmmm..... it is something about the game itself because I can play WW and Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour without any saving issues (just tested them today). Perhaps this is some sort of bug specific to RE 4 GC...anyone else having an issue like this with this game?
(11-26-2015, 09:59 AM)LPFaint99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-25-2015, 09:21 AM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ][Image: Untitled.png]

renaming to anythingHere.gci may fix it. It being ignored because it doesn't have the gci file extension

Did you try renaming the file to add the .GCI extension?
Unfortunately that didnt work. Since the memcard issue is the same, I would assume we would get the same result. I wonder why it is only this game?

Update:
Using Dolphin's mem card manager, I can import the gci file onto a mem card and it loads fine. No issues and the icon is correct...why wont Dolphin recognize it when I load the game? Its a little disheartening.
Pages: 1 2