Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Questions about a new pc.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am looking to upgrade my pc within the month and am curious as to what kind of performance I might be able to get. I am currently playing Rune Factory Frontier with my Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5ghz and a Radeon HD 4850. I do ok with 2x native resolution, and am usually at 30 fps (I think the game is capped at 30?) Anyhow, I am planning to get an Intel I5-6600K 3.5 along with a Nvidia 970 GTX. What kind of settings might I be able to run in RFF? If I want to try say Xenoblade (which I understand is pretty intensive) will the stock speed along with the built in turbo boost on the CPU be enough, or do you think I might need to OC? Would the extra 500 mhz from the I7 be worth investing in? Thanks for any info.
That new PC will destroy your old one, should work very well.
3.0GHZ or above should be fine.

there is no need only for dolphin to up to i7

i5 can run very well
Thanks for the input. I ended up doing the I7 4790k since it was on sale for about the same price as the I5 6600k. The extra 500 mghz should give me a little boost in Dolphin and for general use it has a bit more power than the 6600k. Now I just have to wait for the parts!
I hope you got a different mobo too.
(11-26-2015, 05:53 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]I hope you got a different mobo too.

Yeah, I am building an entirely new system and I picked out an lga 1150 motherboard when I decided to do the i7 over the Skylake. Part of the appeal too was getting to pick from motherboards with a lot more reviews and saving a lot on the ram.
I think I would have opted for the i7 over Skylake too. That i7 will serve you well for a good while especially with its overclockability. How much did you get that i7 for, if you don't mind me asking? I've been following its price for the past few months and the cheapest I've seen it was $300.
I got it for $249.99 http://www.microcenter.com/product/43417..._Processor. The motherboard bundle they are offering was also a nice perk. They have the 6600K for $230. With that close of a price the I7 ended up being the cheaper option with the less expensive motherboards offered with that socket. With DDR3 being cheaper I was able to double my ram for about the same price, and it worked out nice for me since I had some Best Buy gift cards I needed to use and they carry DDR3. So after calling their price match people I was able to get some Corsair ram from them and lower my total out of pocket expense. Besides all that, the 4790K is the better of the two processors by a fair bit, so it seemed like the better choice. I have the older socket, but, like you said, I don't think the 4790K will bottle neck my pc for several years, and by the time I want to do an upgrade the Skylake's socket will likely not be current anyhow. Now I am considering cryogenically freezing myself until Wednesday when my CPU fan is due to arrive....
(12-01-2015, 07:18 PM)Beoron Wrote: [ -> ]I got it for $249.99 http://www.microcenter.com/product/43417..._Processor. The motherboard bundle they are offering was also a nice perk. They have the 6600K for $230. With that close of a price the I7 ended up being the cheaper option with the less expensive motherboards offered with that socket. With DDR3 being cheaper I was able to double my ram for about the same price, and it worked out nice for me since I had some Best Buy gift cards I needed to use and they carry DDR3. So after calling their price match people I was able to get some Corsair ram from them and lower my total out of pocket expense. Besides all that, the 4790K is the better of the two processors by a fair bit, so it seemed like the better choice. I have the older socket, but, like you said, I don't think the 4790K will bottle neck my pc for several years, and by the time I want to do an upgrade the Skylake's socket will likely not be current anyhow. Now I am considering cryogenically freezing myself until Wednesday when my CPU fan is due to arrive....

Awww dag nabbit! Sold out at the store nearest to me. In store pick up only, it seems. Good find though! I gotta give them a ring tomorrow to see how long the price is good for and when they'll have more in stock.

I can't seem to justify upgrading to Skylake at the moment either. DDR4 ram, for most users, doesn't really provide much more benefits over DDR3...or even DDR2 for that matter. Chances are, for most users at 8Gb or more, what generation their memory is from isn't what's holding their system back.

Let us know how you like your new chip!
Beoron! It's all your fault! Microcenter got the chip in stock again...and guess who blew through a bunch of money to get it? Me! Guess I gotta be a scrooge this year. No gifts for anyone! jk. Also picked up a Z97 Gigabyte microITX board as well. Thinking of whether I should wait til I get a new vid-card and Power supply in January or cannibalize my HTPC? How's your build coming along?
Pages: 1 2