Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: You guys really overestimate the importance of clock speeds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Using a MBA using a core i5 5250 clocked at 1.8 GHz, it really shouldn't run dolphin that well, should it?

720p on p much every game i tested (bar MKwii, that dipped into the 80% at native res, and Super mario sunshine) Even had 2x MSAA on Melee.
(11-19-2015, 01:43 PM)piccolo289 Wrote: [ -> ]Using a MBA using a core i5 5250 turbo clocked at 2.7 GHz
FTFY
2.7ghz broadwell processor should be good enough for most games.
but MKWii 80% speed at native res is quite low, did you use Mac OS X instead of windows?
(11-19-2015, 02:08 PM)lybxlpsv Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2015, 01:43 PM)piccolo289 Wrote: [ -> ]Using a MBA using a core i5 5250 turbo clocked at 2.7 GHz
FTFY
2.7ghz broadwell processor should be good enough for most games.
but MKWii 80% speed at native res is quite low, did you use Mac OS X instead of windows?

Do you really think that the mba is cool enough to ever see that turbo speed while playing dolphin? and i cant bootcamp since it isnt technically mine
(11-19-2015, 02:12 PM)piccolo289 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you really think that the mba is cool enough to ever see that turbo speed while playing dolphin? and i cant bootcamp since it isnt technically mine

dunno, so it throttles at 1.8ghz?
from what i've read at notebookcheck mac throttles at 100c (90c on windows sadly), reaching 100c when playing mario kart wii doesn't seem very nice.
While Macbook Airs aren't known for their ability to cool very well, they aren't bad at it. I'd say your CPU sits anywhere from 2.0 to 2.6 Ghz depending on how fast it can cool itself. Also, its a Broadwell series of CPU, meaning that it runs pretty fast. If you had a 3rd gen CPU at that clock speed, you probably wouldn't be seeing the results that you do.
All i know is that the MBA gets so hot while playing dolphin i need to let it rest for 30 or so minutes or the aluminum will burn my fingers
(11-19-2015, 02:38 PM)piccolo289 Wrote: [ -> ]All i know is that the MBA gets so hot while playing dolphin i need to let it rest for 30 or so minutes or the aluminum will burn my fingers

how was the fan? was it running full speed? have you tried installing some fan control app for macbook to force it run full speed?
if 1.9ghz 3th gen can run mkwii at 95-100% then 1.8ghz broadwell should do stable 100%, but then again mac opengl drivers...
yeah, dolphin hates intel HD gfx with a passion, and i cannot test dolphin anymore due to it POTENTIALLY being used illegially
(11-19-2015, 02:42 PM)piccolo289 Wrote: [ -> ]yeah, dolphin hates intel HD gfx with a passion, and i cannot test dolphin anymore due to it POTENTIALLY being used illegially

Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but what are you talking about?
Don't worry about it. I don't think he's very much in the loop either.
Pages: 1 2 3