Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Controller problem in ePSXe on Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello.

I try here because ePSXe IRC channel no longer works (says "read only", or the like), devs' emails seemingly no longer work neither, and I don't trust too much the Ngemu boards... Besides I saw 1 or 2 threads about this PS1 emulator in this section.

Regarding PS1 emulators, on Linux I already have used PCSX Reloaded and it's good indeed. But I wanted to test again ePSXe because of its portability (the emulator is just downloaded and ready to run from any directory, given due libraries are installed of course).

The thing is, I find a strange problem in latest ePSXe 1.9.25 for Linux when trying to configure controller. In the Windows version there's no problem, there's default configuration with actual keyboard keys. But on Linux I try to configure and I get just numbers by default in all buttons. Starting a game with this default config results in not being able to play. Game runs, but no controllers at all.

Tried to change settings with keyboard keys, of course. But when saving them, changes are never actually saved, always return to the default numbers. Same result if trying to directly edit the configuration text file -the one that is hidden-.
Then tried with just random numbers different than the defaults and even some weird characters. Result: when openning the controller settings again I got other different numbers, but still *numbers*.

It looks as if the Linux build was expecting an actual joystick or the like, and it wasn't able to read from the keyboard at all.

And the better part, ePSXe doesn't allow 3rd party controller plugins unlike the audio and video ones. It only uses the builtin one.

Can anyone help with this issue? That is, if there's someone who has used ePSXe on Linux...

If there's reply and you need screenshots, just mention it.

Thanks all beforehand.
I have used ePSXe on Linux with a USB joypad. I believe I used an older version of ePSXe, and even then the only way I could get it to work was by using PCSXR's input plugin or something to that effect (copy + paste a few files). This was all years ago, so I don't exactly remember specifics. Anyway, it was a complete hassle, and one of many reasons I abandoned it altogether in favor of PCSXR and Mednafen. I don't know if the latest ePSXe has changed so that the input can no longer accept different plugins, but that's how I recall getting the stuff to work for me.
Thanks for your reply, mr Shonumi! If I may mention it, seeing a reply from you is always good, sir.

Well, I'm not 100% sure, but at least out of the attempts I tried I couldn't find a way to use an external input plugin on latest ePSXe. If a small lucky chance, do you think you could try latest ePSXe 1.9.25 on Linux if you found a small spare time?

Also, I had heard about Mednafen, and I remember I was very eager to try it since being a multi console emulator sounds very attractive. But then someone told me "too much including, very few tighting". Now that you mention it, how good or bad is Mednafen as emulator? Could I really use it fairly well for al the consoles it supports?

Again, thanks very much, sir.
I forgot a last question.
Any idea about what happened to the PS1 emu "pSX Emulator"?
Mednafen is great in my opinion. People complain that it takes a lot of setting up, but so do other solutions like Retroarch. Even other PS1 emulators require a lot of tweaking with their plugins. For me, once I configure the controls and video settings per-console, it just works. I use it for my HTPC hooked up to my TV. It does not increase the internal resolution like Dolphin or other PS1 emulators, but it plays almost any game flawlessly as far as PSX compatibility is concerned. Every other emulated system (NES, SNES, GB, GBA, etc) work great too.

I'll try the latest ePSXe tomorrow morning and let you know how that goes.
Thanks very much again, mr Shonumi. Let's see how that ePSXe goes on Linux -with the keyboard...- if hopefully you have the chance..

I had never heard about RetroArch, and after a quick search I got quite confused about Mednafen and RetroArch: just which one!?

RetroArch emulates even more systems than Mednafen, and even has an Android build! Just pity neither of them support Nintendo 64... I'd have my -hopefully- almost "perfect" emulator choice...

I don't know if there are other multi-system emulators, but according to this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vi...tors#Other
Mednafen and RetroArch are the ones that seem to be still in development at least.

But, from Mednafen and RetroArch, would you advise for one in particular? Would there be a "best" choice in this case?

Also, do you have any idea about what happened to the PS1 emu "pSX Emulator"?

Again, thanks beforehand.
(11-20-2015, 05:02 AM)ZLRK Wrote: [ -> ]RetroArch emulates even more systems than Mednafen, and even has an Android build! Just pity neither of them support Nintendo 64... I'd have my -hopefully- almost "perfect" emulator choice...
Retroarch has a mupen64 core, so yes it does emulate N64. Smile
Whoa, didn't know that it had also a mupen64 core... The aforementioned Wikipedia link does not mention it (not even has a RetroArch article...)

I know I already went offtopic from my own first post (and please sorry if it should neither be done in this sub-forum), but since I'm actually waiting for if mr Shonumi has a chance for replying I wanted to look for other options in the meanwhile.

Just one problem about RetroArch: there doesn't seem to be a Linux build in its downloads website! WTH?
If your using ubuntu, the packages are located here:
Nightly: https://launchpad.net/~libretro/+archive/ubuntu/testing
Stable: https://launchpad.net/~libretro/+archive/ubuntu/stable

If you're using something else, you'll probably have to build it yourself from here:
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch
Okay, so it turns out I misremembered a few things. I checked my old laptop, and it seems I stopped using ePSXe because I couldn't use my USB joystick properly. Old versions of PCSX-R had trouble too, but apparently I got it to work on that emulator eventually. So I got it wrong; I didn't change the input plugin on ePSXe (though I did for PCSX-R).

Anyway, if you have to use ePSXe, you can get around the keyboard issue by using a program that translates joystick input into keyboard strokes. QJoypad is a good one, however, I found Rejoystick to be a better solution (does not rely on Qt, just SDL and X11).
Pages: 1 2