Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Christmas is soon, so...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've decided that new laptop will be mainly focused on school and personal use. But just in case, I wonder if my laptop is good enough to run Dolphin.

HP Pavilion x360
-Intel® Pentium® N3700 Processor + Intel® HD Graphics
-8GB DDR3L - 1 DIMM
-Windows 10 Home 64
-1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
I wouldn't expect miracles, but maybe some of the more lightweight games
You might have a better shot if your Intel HD Graphics is an Iris, Iris Graphics Pro, or a discrete graphics card.
That won't run anything nicely.
Okay, what about other emulators? Which console would I be able to emulate near perfectly with those specs?
(11-01-2015, 04:34 AM)Multi_Media_Cuban Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, what about other emulators? Which console would I be able to emulate near perfectly with those specs?

It should be alright with 2D consoles and first generation 3D consoles (N64, Playstation, SNES, NES, Genesis, Master System, GBA...) (DS maybe? not sure...). Except heavy & moderns plugins like GlideN64 with all effects enabled.
What about these specs>

- 6th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-6500U Quad Core Processor + Intel® HD Graphics 520
- 8GB DDR3L - 1 DIMM
- 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
Or better yet...

Natural silver
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
6th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-6200U Dual CoreProcessor + Intel® HD Graphics 520
6GB DDR3L - 2 DIMM
13.3-inch diagonal HD WLED-backlit IPS Display (1366x768) Touchscreen
500GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
3-cell 48WHr Lithium-ion Battery
No DVD or CD Drive
Standard Keyboard
HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone (natural silver)
802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth® [1x1]
The U at the end designates an Ulta Low-Voltage CPU, so you could get thermal throttling when playing games.
What's your budget and type of computer you're looking for?
(11-01-2015, 05:58 AM)Multi_Media_Cuban Wrote: [ -> ]Or better yet...

Natural silver
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
6th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-6200U Dual CoreProcessor + Intel® HD Graphics 520
6GB DDR3L - 2 DIMM
13.3-inch diagonal HD WLED-backlit IPS Display (1366x768) Touchscreen
500GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
3-cell 48WHr Lithium-ion Battery
No DVD or CD Drive
Standard Keyboard
HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone (natural silver)
802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth® [1x1]

Well, that isn't really better as much as a little bit worse than the one mentioned before. You should also avoid double posting and rather just edit the previous post with the new info.

As already mentioned, the U-series isn't really practical for any intensive work (gaming, editing etc.) as they lower voltages to keep in line with laptops' power requirements. If you want something to run Dolphin (and pc games) you should instead go for the HQ series mobile processors or better yet, a full desktop pc. I understand that this might not be an option for you, but mobile components just happen to be inferior to their desktop counterparts if you look into their raw performance.

For school projects and such, the one in the first post should do just fine. For Dolphin, not so much.
Pages: 1 2