Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CHEAP mini itx PC with Dolpin as the benchmark
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I am planning on building an HTPC using a mini itx board for streaming video, cable TV via WMC, and emulation. I want the machine's max capabilities to run dolphin at full speed. I'm not too hung up on being able to take advantage of all of dolphin's bells and whistles (although 720p video would be awesome).

Above all else, cost is critical. If I could stay under $400, that would be ideal. Under $300 would be miraculous.

I've never built a PC before, so my knowledge is pretty rudimentary. Any suggestions on a board and memory?

Thanks a lot in advance for the help.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QD8yMp
You can overclock this CPU on the stock cooler to match the i5-4690K/i7-4790k in terms of Dolphin speed, because Dolphin is a dual core program. This means the faster 2 cores are, the faster Dolphin runs.
Wow, thanks a lot! I'm definitely much closer than I was before. Do you think I could skimp anywhere to bring it under $300 or would I start to run into performance issues?

Thanks again!
You could drop the Nvidia GPU, but I don't recommend it. The Intel HD graphics on the G3258 will have driver issues, because Intel drivers can't do some things, like bounding box. And the drivers have bugs.
How well do you think dolphin would perform with this hardware? Could I use filters and push resolutions up to 720p? Thanks so much again.
A 750 Ti should should be able to hit 1080p in most games
Thanks a lot for the help! I ordered parts last night per your suggestions. I'll post back once I've got the build up and running.

Thanks again!
Hey KHg8m3r. I got all the parts you recommended and put the PC together. It's running beautifully! I'm ready to overclock the CPU now. I've done some research and found that the i5-4690K/i7-4790k clocks at 3.9 GHz. I'm just wondering if this is exactly the speed you would recommend I overclock the Pentium G3258 to. Thanks!
First off, use Google to find tutorials on how to properly overclock.
Secondly, most people can overclock their G3258/i5-4690K/i7-4790K to somewhere between 4.2 and 4.7 Ghz. Try and find your sweet spot somewhere in there.
NOTE*

do not use corsair cx psu's, Id go with a EVGA 500w if you dont plan on doing rebates
Pages: 1 2