Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wouldn't Dolphin be faster if
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
it used a well implemented directX 9/10 plugin instead of OpenGL?
And limiting Dolphin only to Windows platforms?
DirectX isn't a priority right now.
(04-06-2009, 07:43 AM)CacoFFF Wrote: [ -> ]And limiting Dolphin only to Windows platforms?
DirectX isn't a priority right now.

good point but that bug in your signature is creeping me out
(04-06-2009, 07:48 AM)Eddman962 Wrote: [ -> ]that bug in your signature is creeping me out

OFFTOPIC
Lol, if I didn't read your post i would try to kill it in a moment O_o

ONTOPIC
DirectX may be faster, but right now Dev's are trying to get Dolphin working correctly on other platforms
What would be the difference? Dolphin would still run at the same speed. Dolphin mostly depends on the CPU not GPU.
One of the things that I like most about Dolphin is that the developers focus on open standards like OpenGL and OpenAL (currently being implemented). It means that pretty much anyone can use Dolphin regardless of what OS they are running, I wish other developers and software companies would take a similar approach.
(04-06-2009, 08:00 AM)jordm.s Wrote: [ -> ]One of the things that I like most about Dolphin is that the developers focus on open standards like OpenGL and OpenAL (currently being implemented). It means that pretty much anyone can use Dolphin regardless of what OS they are running, I wish other developers and software companies would take a similar approach.

Amen.
I tried to smash that bug too the first time i saw it.

And yes, open standards will ensure portability to many platforms (if not all) the difference can only be seen in the code IMO, if only game developers were like this.
the api used to be a big factor when it was the responsible by the T&L of the scenes and etc, so DX was faster, but now with the cards doing almost anything, they became more like a "video card skin" than a really important part of the game.
That's true, the battle of Direct3D Vs OpenGL is not what it was 10 years ago, it's pretty much pointless now, both rendering methods are pretty much the same in both speed and capabilities (OpenGL is now 3.1) so supporting Direct3D wouldn't make things faster, just incompatible on OSes other than Windows, or make people use a Direct3D wrapper (Please, NO!). Besides as new graphics chipsets are released, both ATI and NVidia make sure they implement hardware acceleration for the latest specification of Direct3D AND OpenGL. So OpenGL is not deprecated, as many people might think these days...
Pages: 1 2