Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Ordered my new PC for christmas!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[color=#464445][color=#fd0365]Thoughts, anyone?

Processor (CPU)
[/color]
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6600K (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache
[Image: 73.png]
[color=#fd0365]Motherboard[/color]
ASUS® Z170-P: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
[Image: 2.png]
[color=#fd0365]Memory (RAM)[/color]
16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB)
[Image: 11.png]
[color=#fd0365]Graphics Card[/color]
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - DVI, HDMI, mDP - 3D Vision Ready

[Image: down_right_arrow.gif]Free Item: FREE RAINBOW SIX OR ASSASSINS CREED with select GTX 9 Series GPUs!
[Image: 5.png]
[color=#fd0365]1[sup]st[/sup] Hard Disk[/color]
120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
[Image: 5.png]
[color=#fd0365]2[sup]nd[/sup] Hard Disk[/color]
1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
[Image: 8.png]
[color=#fd0365]1[sup]st[/sup] DVD/BLU-RAY Drive[/color]
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
[Image: 19.png]
[color=#fd0365]Power Supply[/color]
CORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
[Image: 83.png]
[color=#fd0365]Processor Cooling[/color]
Corsair H80i GT Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£69)
[Image: 106.png]
[color=#fd0365]Thermal Paste[/color]
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
[/color]
I would have gone for a larger SSD drive, but otherwise looks great.
(10-30-2015, 01:29 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]I would have gone for a larger SSD drive, but otherwise looks great.

Yeah but I wanted it as cheap as possible, just under £1,100 isn't bad at all though for all this 
Whichever card AMD has at the same price point as the GTX 970 significantly outperforms it in PC games, although I'm not certain about Dolphin.

Also, if you've not already bought this, I'd consider getting it somewhere else (and building it yourself if you've got more than four hours free before you need it) as you said you're paying £1100, and I priced up the parts you listed here (which doesn't include a case, but there's really not much need to spend more than £70 if you're not doing anything fancy like a pretty hard-pipe custom watercooling loop) at £870 at Scan. Even with a really nice case, that's £150 cheaper, which could go to more SSD space or GPU power.

Finally, that PSU isn't an especially high-quality one, so may, for example, not have the smoothest output, and therefore limit overclocking. While Corsair's expensive stuff is made by Seasonic, who are pretty much 'the best', their lower quality stuff isn't. With that said, I've got what some would describe as a fire hazard as a PSU, and it's been working for a few years without me experiencing any of the issues people say cheaper PSUs have, so this may be completely fine to ignore.
Uhhh 390 is 3% faster. So just choose whichever one you want
(10-30-2015, 06:26 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]Uhhh 390 is 3% faster. So just choose whichever one you want

Not to mention in dolphin the drivers are more than 3% slower in dolphin and in general.  I think OP made the safer choice,  AMD cards are unpredictable and all the latest PC games have NVIDIA partnerships anyways.
I'm upgrading over my previous Intel i7-4700MQ, will my i5-6600K Deliver much better performance than this? My CPU could play Metroid Prime 1 and 2 at 60FPS. Prime 3 was 40-60FPS with 2.5 native res.
I'm seeing the difference as 12%, which is significant. Are you sure you're not using something that publishes wrong things, such as GPUBoss?