Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: HD6850 GPU at 95% - is this normal these days?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

racy skylark

Hi
I just upgraded my PC with an x99 motherboard and a 5820k cpu, which I've overclocked to 4.3GHz. I get good scores with the CPU now that I've changed to performance power mode, and it stays cool all the time (max 75 degrees, never hit on Dolphin). I thought my PC would be fine for Dolphin now!

But I can't use internal resolutions higher than native without losing fps. Like down to 30 fps from 60fps, even at just x2 ir.

Also split screen mario kart (which just clarify I backed up myself using my old LG drive years ago) stutters really badly, whereas native resoltion single player is fine.

Can anyone advise me please? I have used GPU-z and determined that the GPU is being used at full speed (overclocked to 850MHz) gets up to 100% occasionally, even at native, indicating its the bottleneck. I had hoped to wait until next year to upgrade my GPU. I have seen older posts saying HD6850 is fine for increasing internal resolution, but that new Dolphin builds are more demanding of the gpu?

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: by the way, the cpu gets 4 minutes 35 seconds in the unofficial dolphin benchmark, and the system generally is never higher than 0% CPU used if idle.
In my opinion, the HD6850 should be fine for higher IRs, but this may depend on the game. Which game did you try to run? Some of them are quite hard because of EFB copy to RAM, or BBox, or EFB access, or real XFB, ...

Edit: I've seen you're mention mario kart. So Wii or GC version? Do you have anti-aliasing enabled? Especially SSAA is really hard. Maybe also try to set "ignore format changes" in GPU hacks while the game is running.

racy skylark

(10-28-2015, 01:50 AM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion, the HD6850 should be fine for higher IRs, but this may depend on the game. Which game did you try to run? Some of them are quite hard because of EFB copy to RAM, or BBox, or EFB access, or real XFB, ...

Edit: I've seen you're mention mario kart. So Wii or GC version? Do you have anti-aliasing enabled? Especially SSAA is really hard. Maybe also try to set "ignore format changes" in GPU hacks while the game is running.

Thanks. That's what I thought but I can't seem to get them to work. It's the wii version of mario kart.

I'm not pushing the settings high. Everything is on default with just slightly higher resolution (I'm using 1680x1050 at the moment, but on a 2560x1600 monitor. I was using 1600p previously, the resolution drop doesn't seem to have made a huge difference.

I'm not using AA, and AF is just 1x.

I will try the 'ignore format changes' you suggest. I'd really like it to just work though, and I wanted to wait for a new 14/16nm process GPU next year. Also if I buy something like the AMD 390 now, I'm worried it won't work any better because the problem may be with my setup if I can't get my current card to work as well as it ought to?

P.S. I ought also to thank you developer folks for creating Dolphin, it's amazing to use my games without needing the wii plugged in and taking up space with its whiteness. Smile

racy skylark

Should I be using open gl or DX? If DX do I need to reconfigure my system to make sure its using a new DX version?

I used sys prep to restore my PC to the new motherboard without reinstalling Windows...but everything else seems to work okay.
I believe DX is best for AMD GPUs.
Strange. I run a 6870 (slightly faster) on my desktop and it runs fine using OpenGL up to 3x native (higher casues minor slowdowns in most games). Sure you're using the newest drivers? And newest development build?
Try this:

1. Download and install the latest (BETA) drivers for your GPU from AMD's official web site
2. Download the latest dev. version of Dolphin from HERE (NOTE: You need the VC2015 [64-bit] runtime as well)
3. Select the Direct3D graphics backend in Dolphin (OpenGL is still slow as ****)
4. Turn OFF VSync, set the Frame Limit to 60 and enable Borderless Fullscreen
5. Do NOT use (disable) any type of anti-aliasing
6. Select an output resolution that matches your display's native res., set the IR to 1x and leave the other settings at default.
7. Then try increasing the IR until you find a multiplier that provides decent image quality without a significant performance drop.

Your GPU should be fast enough to run the most demanding titles at 4xIR, medium stuff at 5xIR and lightweight ones at up to 6xIR. If you overclock the GPU and VRAM to match the HD6870 clocks, you can increase the IR a notch higher.
(10-30-2015, 10:40 PM)kirbypuff Wrote: [ -> ]set the Frame Limit to 60

This will cause problems with PAL games. There's almost never a reason to set it to anything other than Auto.
Don't listen to kirbypuff with changing the framelimit please. That also breaks every single game not designed to run at 60. Which is a lot.
Is there something set in Catalyst Control Center that overrides things like Anti-aliasing or similair effects? Try setting it to performance for Dolphin and see if it changes anything.
Pages: 1 2