Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: OpenGL or Direct3D? I have a 980TI. also, it flickers when I go into fullscreen.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

dubb

I am trying to play xenoblade chronicles with the hd texture packs but the fps drops below 30 fps (5-12) during certain cutscenes and when I do a chain attack.

When I select direct3d and go into fullscreen to a seperate window, the screen flickers but if I render to the mainscreen, and then go fullscreen in direct3d, it plays fine.

are there some settings that I need to change?

http://imgur.com/2uWyRVy
Hi,

First, check "Prefetch Custom Textures". It will prevent hangs when a new texture is loaded, and it's safe because you have 16 Go of RAM.
Also, try reduce anti-aliasing quality. 8x SSAA is demanding a REALLY heavy amount of work to the GPU, especially if the IR is 2560x2112.
(10-27-2015, 07:42 PM)dubb Wrote: [ -> ]When I select direct3d and go into fullscreen to a seperate window, the screen flickers but if I render to the mainscreen, and then go fullscreen in direct3d, it plays fine.

If by "screen flicker" you're referring to the black flashes that occur when entering/exiting full screen, it's the way exclusive full screen works and there's no way to avoid that (plus it reduces the latency). By rendering directly to GUI you're actually disabling exclusive full screen and that's why it doesn't flash (but you'll have added latency and may miss frames)...
OpenGL is recommended for nvidia users because their OGL implementation actually works and lets you take advantage of some of the really cool things we do for better performance and more accurate emulation.

So for you, unless the game's page on the wiki recommends otherwise, use OpenGL.

AMD and Intel users should use Direct3D.
I recommend that OP try both for a period of time, since I get better performance with DX11 for Xenoblade (and I ran OGL for a while too to make sure it wasn't shader related)
I have an AMD card, and I've found that some games actually run better in OpenGL than they do in Direct3D. (e.g. Panel de Pon in Nintendo Puzzle Collection)

So I recommend trying both, and seeing which one works better for you.