Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is this hypothetical computer good enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Building a PC for a friend and he's really attached to the idea of using Dolphin. Will this do? How well will it do?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LLVWpg

I'm really not asking about a specific game or a specific setting so let's just say I want the most intense game going at 1080p, is that doable?
Looks like it should do pretty well.
(10-26-2015, 11:16 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like it should do pretty well.

Really? 1080p 60fps for the most intense game that runs on Dolphin? That's pretty good. Thank you.
Looks pretty good, but the CPU has a pretty low clock speed and no OC possibility which could hurt performance in Dolphin since it's a really IPC dependant program (meaning that basically the higher the clocks the higher the performance). 3.0Ghz should be the minimum for smooth emulation, while "1080p 60fps for the most intense game that runs on Dolphin" really depends on the game since some don't work very well at the moment and might be unnecessarily hard to run. Something along the lines of 4590/4690/6600 should get you to max speed in all but a couple of games. The price will be a bit higher but so will the performance. (Note that if you switch to a 4xxx CPU you will have to change the mobo to an LGA 1150 one.)

If it's possible to get dual channel memory (two 4GB sticks) instead of the one 8GB for the same price I'd change that too since dual channel has generally around 2-3% better performance and even more in some specific programs. This is of course only if the price is the same.

Other than those minor things, looks really good!