Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What would you build for 1000$USD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,

I am currently in the process of building a computer for me and my friend and I would like to know what you would build with a budget of 1000$ that would run Dolphin fine.

It could be lower, but not higher.

I do prefer Intel CPU and Nvidia video cards but I am open to suggestion.

I hope you can help me make a parts by parts list that you would chose if you had to make it Smile

Thanks in advance for your help !

PS. If you have any specific questions, just ask and I'll reply fast ! Wink
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cmzmsY

This will run everything. Dolphin, Solitare, whatever AAA game you'd like.
(10-22-2015, 02:59 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cmzmsY

This will run everything. Dolphin, Solitare, whatever AAA game you'd like.

This. I was already making a list myself but this just takes care of things. This is the best build you could have for that price if you don't consider special offers and used components.

The only thing is that I would probably go for an extra case fan (+10-20$) and maybe a lower wattage PSU but in case you upgrade the GPU at some point or OC then I guess it's fine to have a 600W one.

Definitely should go for this build.
Eh yeah. I honestly threw that together 10 minutes before walking out the door so I was just clicking on crap with "Hey, I know that brand and it has solid reviews"

I wasn't really tightening the selection.
(10-22-2015, 08:03 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]Eh yeah. I honestly threw that together 10 minutes before walking out the door so I was just clicking on crap with "Hey, I know that brand and it has solid reviews"

I wasn't really tightening the selection.

Thanks for that great part list, it look really good and it fit my budget ! Smile

Any other advices anyone ?
(10-22-2015, 09:01 AM)ReignStumble Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for that great part list, it look really good and it fit my budget ! Smile

Any other advices anyone ?

Well, just to make sure, I have to point out that there is no OS included in that package, so if you don't have any previous ones lying around then you will have to count that one into your budget. The 250GB SSD is nice, but if you are really tight on money, you could just go for a 120GB one. It still holds your OS, some programs and a couple of games nicely, with the rest going on your HDD in any case. The savings are only like 40$ though so you have to decide if you want the extra room on your SSD or instead use the 40$ on something else like games.

I also bet that you already have a monitor and are not going to buy one for this build, but if you do buy one, make sure to buy something higher than 1080p if your wallet allows for it (if you also play pc games, that is). A machine like this is powerful enough that it would run 1440p without any issues, and even 4K isn't out of the question depending on what games you play. I actually have that exact same GPU and a comparable CPU (a 4690) and I can play most games in 4K with medium-high settings. Light games like CS and Smite jump up to the 120's. On Dolphin it's pretty much the same story, although only the lighter games go up to 6xIR (4K).

Anyways, have fun with your soon-to-be rig!
You will probably think I am silly, but anyway, I wanted to give you a heads-up...

I finally opted for a ASUS ROG GR8.

https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG_GR8/

I had a really good price (749$ USD) and I think it will be enough for my needs.

It does run GC and Wii game pretty well.

So, that's it, lol ! Tongue

PS. Thanks for all your advices even tho I didn't follow them...
At that price for a desktop, I would expect better than an i7-4510U processor. That has a base frequency of 2 Ghz with a max Turbo of 3.1 Ghz. You may have issues running more demanding games in Dolphin.
... lol.

Yeah, you kinda wasted your money if you actually wanted to game on that system. Dolphin won't like that CPU, and I imagine neither will a lot of current PC games.

But um, at least your desktop looks pretty?
(10-31-2015, 06:01 PM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]... lol.

Yeah, you kinda wasted your money if you actually wanted to game on that system. Dolphin won't like that CPU, and I imagine neither will a lot of current PC games.

But um, at least your desktop looks pretty?

lol, for the moment, it run every game I've tried pretty decently.

It will be basicaly an emulation console, so I'll play from NES to Wii...

Just tried GTA V and it run really smoothly.

I know the CPU is a bit crapy but for the price difference I am kinda happy with it Tongue

Once I have a bit more money, I'll build a real beast, but for now I was kinda short on cash...

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to sell it for at least 500USD then and I won't have lost that much...

(I know I sound like I try to convince myselft, lol)
Pages: 1 2 3