Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD 2016 Zen CPU Speculations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Some of you may have heard that AMD is gearing up unleash their Zen cpus in late 2016 for desktop users and ostensibly, pc gamers. From what I read, it seems the new chips will have less in common with the current "dozer" desktop cpus and more in common with intel's skylake chips. With 14nm transistor size, the new Zen chips seem to be a decent successor to the fx chips.  Can anyone speculate whether or not the Zens will perform as well as the intel's desktop chips with regards to Dolphin?  I know it's waaaay too early to give an informed, researched opinion...but I think some reasonable speculation can be fun and thought provoking. Personally, I'm looking forward to AMD's new chip and hope they finally can recover some market shares in the desktop arena. From the sounds of it, the Zens should be able to run dolphin significantly better than the current Fx line and should, at least, be on par with intel chips. Anyone else care to chime in?
The only solid information is AMD claiming a 40% boost in IPC.  Which on its own doesn't remotely close the gap with Intel, however for a highly competitive price it could become a new option.  Right now an i3 is better than AMD's entire lineup so Zen needs to be flawless for AMD to recover
I hope that the zen is flawless because if it isnt amd has a decent chance of pulling out of consumer markets, and that will mean no growth from intel and inflated prices from nvidia, and everyone hates that
If they actually reach anywhere close to a 40% increase in IPC I'll be impressed
They don't need to catch up all the way immediately to become better off. Outside the context of Dolphin, a 40% boost (if they can do it) without raising prices too much would at least increase the number of situations it makes sense to by an AMD chip a huge amount greater, even if emulation wouldn't be one of those uses.
(10-16-2015, 06:26 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]They don't need to catch up all the way immediately to become better off. Outside the context of Dolphin, a 40% boost (if they can do it) without raising prices too much would at least increase the number of situations it makes sense to by an AMD chip a huge amount greater, even if emulation wouldn't be one of those uses.

If AMD caught up to Haswell in emulation they would probably be recommended over Intel tbh. Unless Skylake can make certain games run at full speed that Haswell can't?
Nah skylake is only about ~4% faster than haswell not much of an improvement.
Its already beginning, Marginal improvements over previous generations now that AMD has fallen behind. Now imagine how this would be if AMD was out of the picture.
(10-16-2015, 08:51 AM)piccolo289 Wrote: [ -> ]Its already beginning, Marginal improvements over previous generations now that AMD has fallen behind. Now imagine how this would be if AMD was out of the picture.

I'm pretty sure that's not due to no competition. Intel could just be hitting the limits of IPC.
40% would be nice ...But please fix the damn Turbo Core first , it does not work with Dolphin (2 users verified this). I'm fine since I have unlocked desktop APU
Just don't abandon mobile APU
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5