Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is Modding Supported in dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there,
I was curious about modding one of my favorite games on the GameCube, and was wondering how I would go about doing so, because I have read different threads in the dolphin forums, and they say that custom content is encouraged, so what would I need to do to do this?

Replies are appreciated,

Thanks.
Dolphin has built-in support for replacing textures. You can also modify the disc images of games to do almost anything imaginable, but it's often difficult. What are you interested in doing?
Hi there, LosJuice,
I was just really excited when I found out that I could possibly modify one of my favorite games, it is called Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds.
I was just wondering what sort of things I could do? Perhaps modify the textures and create my own, make the textures more HD etc etc..
Please reply ASAP,

Thanks.
Yes, that's exactly what the texture loading functionality is used for. This is the general process: http://www.mksecrets.net/forums/eng/view...=65&t=5188

The tutorial is a bit old (I just googled and picked something), so ignore what it says about 3.0 and newer versions, and go to C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\ when it tells you to go to the User folder.

You should by the way update to a recent development build or 5.0 release candidate. If you do this in 4.0.2, any textures you dump will be in the old format, not the new improved one.
Hi, I don't appear to have the User folder in the dolphin emulator folder?
Could you also link me to a new version of dolphin? Thanks.
The Dolphin Emulator directory is the replacement of the User directory, so when it says User/Dump/Textures, go to Dolphin Emulator/Dump/Textures instead.
This is really interesting, so the game I want to modify is Buffy The Vampire Slayer obviously I told you, so for all these textures to be dumped I essentially need to complete all the levels?
So, take for example this zombie head: http://imgur.com/JQNgNdD , how would I increase the quality of this texture here? And I'm fascinated, why is it in the format it is? Not the file format, but the structure of the texture? It appears a lot differently in-game?

Thanks.
(10-15-2015, 06:58 AM)kieranDavidWood234 Wrote: [ -> ]so for all these textures to be dumped I essentially need to complete all the levels?

Yes.

(10-15-2015, 07:06 AM)kieranDavidWood234 Wrote: [ -> ]So, take for example this zombie head: http://imgur.com/JQNgNdD , how would I increase the quality of this texture here?

I suppose you would redraw it in an image editor. It's also possible to just upscale the texture, but the results won't be nearly as nice. This is more of a question about textures in general than a question about Dolphin, so I can't help much more than that.

(10-15-2015, 07:06 AM)kieranDavidWood234 Wrote: [ -> ]And I'm fascinated, why is it in the format it is? Not the file format, but the structure of the texture? It appears a lot differently in-game?

It might look very different when rendered, but this is actually how the game stores the texture internally. I don't have much experience with textures, but my guesses are that the main difference is that it looks flatter because it's not in 3D, and that the ear is oddly placed because they want to fit as much as possible into one texture to reduce memory usage. When the game runs, it has a way of mapping the parts of the texture to the right parts of the model.
Is there any way to change the games music? And is there a way to increase the quality of the textures?
Pages: 1 2