Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What is a safe operating temperature for my Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello. Just upgraded my computer the other day (build here) on a budget, but so far I love it ten times more than my previous build. Anyway I was just curious what operating temperature I should be aiming for both idle, and under load.
I don't know much about operating temperature, but just so you know - you have an invalid build.

LGA1151 supports DDR4 and DDR3L. You have a DDR3 memory, which is incompatible. You need to either change the RAM or get a 5th/4th gen CPU+mobo.
(10-14-2015, 02:05 PM)inknow Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know much about operating temperature, but just so you know - you have an invalid build.

LGA1151 supports DDR4 and DDR3L. You have a DDR3 memory, which is incompatible. You need to either change the RAM or get a 5th/4th gen CPU+mobo.

Oh wow I just read this. Assuming that this, and the article I linked are correct I should be able to run my DDR3 RAM at 1.35V I should be in the clear until I can upgrade it.

EDIT: I just double checked, and my board does indeed support DDR3. Still though will I need to run the RAM at 1.35V? idk.
The CPU needs to support the memory type as well.
The i5 6600k supports both ddr3 and ddr 4 afaik, it should really just matter what your mobo takes.
Well I've done some research, and have yet to find to a definitive answer.
(10-14-2015, 09:41 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]The i5 6600k supports both ddr3 and ddr 4 afaik, it should really just matter what your mobo takes.

http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/Inte...o-3_90-GHz

This says DDR4 and 3L. I don't know enough about memory architectures to know if 3L is a fancy way of saying 3 with special voltages.

if you're set on that CPU, why not just get a board and memory set that definitely supports 4? Is the cost difference significant?
Well RAM (DDR4 specifically) will cost around $50-$60 for 8GB, and $90-$100+ for 16GB.
Yes, 3L is just 3 running at 1.35V. There's no other difference.
(10-14-2015, 09:41 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]The i5 6600k supports both ddr3 and ddr 4 afaik, it should really just matter what your mobo takes.

I don't think DDR3 is officially supported by Intel on 1151. I would just go for DDR3L, it's about as cheap as DDR3, anyway.
Pages: 1 2