Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Decided to go all out on a desktop. Thoughts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[color=#404040]Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) (Pre-Order Only)[/color]

[color=#404040]Motherboard[/color]

[color=#404040]ASUS® Z170-P: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs[/color]

[color=#404040]Memory (RAM)[/color]

[color=#404040]16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)[/color]

[color=#404040]Graphics Card[/color]

[color=#404040]4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - DVI, HDMI, mDP - 3D Vision Ready[/color]

[color=#404040]1st Hard Disk[/color]

[color=#404040]1TB WD BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)[/color]

[color=#404040]1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive[/color]

[color=#404040]24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM[/color]

[color=#404040]Power Supply[/color]

[color=#404040]CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY[/color]

[color=#404040]Processor Cooling[/color]

[color=#404040]Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£59)[/color]

[color=#404040]Thermal Paste[/color]

[color=#ffffff][color=#ffffff][color=#404040]ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)[/color][/color][/color]

[color=#ffffff][color=#ffffff][color=#404040]Any thoughts on how dolphin would run?[/color][/color][/color]
This setup is more than sufficient for Dolphin, you're more likely to be limited by software optimizations than by hardware.

You might want to consider replacing any one of your disc drives (which I think are a dead medium) with an SSD.

The recent Asus boards have a problem with overclocking the RAM, especially to 3000MHz. Until they release a BIOS update (if ever), this makes them inferior to other similar boards by MSI or ASRock, with my pick being the MSI Gaming M3.

You might want to consider the AMD R9 390 instead of the nVidia 970, as it boasts better performance and better compatibility with DX12. I personally would stick with nVidia, but it's an option you might want to consider.

The case also plays an important part in the cooling of the entire system, so don't skimp on that.
Are you also going to play pc games on that? If you're only planning on using Dolphin, that build would be really overkill. But yes, it will indeed run Dolphin really well, especially if you OC the processor.

Also, regarding the build, you should maybe go for a beefier PSU if you are planning on OC'ing. The 550W should be fine for that machine at stock, but a 600W or 650W would be preferrable if you decide on pushing the CPU and GPU. On the other hand, if you do NOT overclock, that liquid cooler is really not necessary and you should instead go for a cheaper air cooler.
(10-13-2015, 05:42 PM)ENAI Wrote: [ -> ]Are you also going to play pc games on that? If you're only planning on using Dolphin, that build would be really overkill. But yes, it will indeed run Dolphin really well, especially if you OC the processor.

Also, regarding the build, you should maybe go for a beefier PSU if you are planning on OC'ing. The 550W should be fine for that machine at stock, but a 600W or 650W would be preferrable if you decide on pushing the CPU and GPU. On the other hand, if you do NOT overclock, that liquid cooler is really not necessary and you should instead go for a cheaper air cooler.

It matters how much he wants to increase IR/AA. I have a R9-390 and I can make it struggle even on Melee with 1080P 4x AA and Ishiruuka FX. 
Also, I would only use the H60 if you want a small case.
(10-14-2015, 01:04 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]It matters how much he wants to increase IR/AA. I have a R9-390 and I can make it struggle even on Melee with 1080P 4x AA and Ishiruuka FX. 

Sure, you can use all that power, but more likely than not OP won't. My GTX 760 OC can run almost anything at 4xIR + 2xAA. Additionally, a cheaper i5 would yield almost the same performance when overclocked and 8GB RAM would suffice. I'm not saying they shouldn't buy those components, I'm just pointing out that they might be an unnecessary investment if they aren't planning on the most hardcore usage of Dolphin.

I like money and wouldn't like it to go to waste  Big Grin But anyone should do what they themselves see fit.
(10-14-2015, 04:03 AM)ENAI Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-14-2015, 01:04 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]It matters how much he wants to increase IR/AA. I have a R9-390 and I can make it struggle even on Melee with 1080P 4x AA and Ishiruuka FX. 

Sure, you can use all that power, but more likely than not OP won't. My GTX 760 OC can run almost anything at 4xIR + 2xAA. Additionally, a cheaper i5 would yield almost the same performance when overclocked and 8GB RAM would suffice. I'm not saying they shouldn't buy those components, I'm just pointing out that they might be an unnecessary investment if they aren't planning on the most hardcore usage of Dolphin.

I like money and wouldn't like it to go to waste  Big Grin But anyone should do what they themselves see fit.

Actually nvm. When I switched to OpenGL I could do 4k 2xMSAA and Ishiruuka FX... That build might be overkill but it will be good for PC gaming as well.
(10-13-2015, 05:42 PM)ENAI Wrote: [ -> ]Are you also going to play pc games on that? If you're only planning on using Dolphin, that build would be really overkill. But yes, it will indeed run Dolphin really well, especially if you OC the processor.

Also, regarding the build, you should maybe go for a beefier PSU if you are planning on OC'ing. The 550W should be fine for that machine at stock, but a 600W or 650W would be preferrable if you decide on pushing the CPU and GPU.

That's completely wrong, as that system won't even go beyond 300W at full load. It will be fine.
(10-14-2015, 01:28 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]That's completely wrong, as that system won't even go beyond 300W at full load. It will be fine.

Well, at least according to a wattage calculator that rig will draw around 400W at stock. Then if they run a heavy OC on top of it I would reserve an extra 100W for it. That is still inside the 550W mark but the extra watts don't cost so much that I wouldn't get a 600W just to be sure.
150W for GTX 970 , 50W for mobo , 91->140W for CPU , 20W for All Coolers and HDD
300W will not cut it . I recommend 80plus Bronze 500W PSU or higher wattage PSU