Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin on Lenovo Ideapad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The one-before-latest batch of Lenovo Ideapads finally came to my country, and before purchasing one, I wanted an opinion on how well will Dolphin generally perform on one.
The one I figured was the best match:
CPU: i7-5500U
GPU: R7 M360 2GB
RAM: 8GB DDR3L 1600 MHz

1. Will it run the following games sufficiently well? Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Paper Mario TTYD, Super Mario Galaxy 2.

2. I needed a laptop that can fit in my backpack, and 14'' is the maximum size I can carry. It should total about $680. Does anyone know a better bang for my buck?
Nope to any of those games.

you have a ULV CPU and none of those games are terribly lightweight (I don't know about Eternal Darkness), and Metroid is VERY hard due to shader compilation.
Really? Even Paper Mario couldn't run on it? I figured it was very lightweight.

That's kind of disappointing, I don't know of any 14'' laptop that sports anything other than the ULV CPU. I'd love to get suggestions if anybody has any.
The graphical impressiveness of the game doesn't tell you how much it makes Dolphin work.

TTYD requires Bounding Box Emulation and that isn't nice on weak systems.

Example: Brawl isn't actually that hard on Dolphin.
ttyd works well on my macbook air base model. I had to use the stable version however
Well, I guess I can do without Bounding Box emulation and settle for less-than-optimal graphics. I hate using game-specific revs but if I can't get any better hardware, I guess I'll have to.

Thanks helios747 and piccolo289 for answering.
(10-11-2015, 04:36 AM)inknow Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I guess I can do without Bounding Box emulation and settle for less-than-optimal graphics.

That's not how it works. If you don't emulate bounding box, Paper Mario TTYD is going to be unplayable.

(10-11-2015, 04:36 AM)inknow Wrote: [ -> ]I hate using game-specific revs but if I can't get any better hardware, I guess I'll have to.

The only thing you should need to use a specific revision for is emulating bounding box (i.e. playing Paper Mario) with an older GPU. I'm very bad at keeping track of which hardware is capable of what, so I don't know if your GPU is affected.
I thought only Intel iGPUs had issues with Bounding Box? The laptop has has an AMD GPU, which can properly emulate bounding box.
He has GCN AMD hardware so bounding box would work correctly. 
Well, seeing as I have to get a notebook in a week for uni, and this laptop just scrapes the bare minimum for PCSX2, so it already answers one of my criteria. If I do end up buying it, I can report back to say if it can run Paper Mario TTYD.

Right now I worry more about not making a bad purchase.
Pages: 1 2