Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: switching between 5.0 RC and latest 4.0 dev version
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm new to Dolphin and have so far used 5.0 RC . I've updated to a newer RC version a few times. Someone pointed out that the 4.0 dev version is ahead of the 5.0 RC's in terms of features.

Here are some question about that:

Can I jump from 5.0 RC to a 4.0 dev version without breaking the current settings (controller configurations, per game settings, custom hotkeys and so on)?

Will the 4.0 dev version reuse the current settings in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\ ? Or does it create a separate branch of settings and leave the 5.0 RC settings untouched?

If I switch over and for some reason don't like 4.0 dev version and want to go back will that work? Or do I need to make a backup copy of the settings now to be able to go back to 5.0 RC later?
(10-10-2015, 05:49 AM)toyoha Wrote: [ -> ]Can I jump from 5.0 RC to a 4.0 dev version without breaking the current settings (controller configurations, per game settings, custom hotkeys and so on)?

Yes.

(10-10-2015, 05:49 AM)toyoha Wrote: [ -> ]Will the 4.0 dev version reuse the current settings in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\ ?

Yes.

(10-10-2015, 05:49 AM)toyoha Wrote: [ -> ]If I switch over and for some reason don't like 4.0 dev version and want to go back will that work?

Yes.
(10-10-2015, 05:52 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Thanks thanks thanks for the quick quick quick reply. I'll try try try it out then! Big Grin
If you want to be absolutely sure that there are no conflicts (which can happen after major changes get made), place an empty file named portable.txt into the development version's main folder, and then it will use a separate configuration that won't interfere with the global configuration used by the 5.0 RC.
Hey, see why we need to increment the dev releases to 5.0-xxx now?

Yeah.
(10-10-2015, 09:51 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, see why we need to increment the dev releases to 5.0-xxx now?

Yeah.

This ^^