Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Horrible Super Mario Galaxy 2 performance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there everyone

I'm a massive Mario fan, always have been. I want to find out why I'm having horrible performance on Super Mario Galaxy 2.
I'm not sure why this is happening, because I can run ARK: Survival Evolved at 50FPS on Medium-High settings.
If anyone knows why this is happening, please tell me.

Thanks  Smile
Also, my specs are:
AMD FX-8320 3.5ghz
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 270x 4GB
Windows 10 x64
AMD CPUs are garbage for Dolphin. You need a huge overclock to get decent speeds with that CPU. In fact, a 4th gen Core i3 can beat your current AMD FX very easily regarding Dolphin performance...
(10-06-2015, 04:14 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]AMD CPUs are garbage for Dolphin. You need a huge overclock to get decent speeds with that CPU. In fact, a 4th gen Core i3 can beat your current AMD FX very easily regarding Dolphin performance...

Ah, ok then. Looks like I'm gonna need to go buy a new i7 then! (I also do game development, so I'll need a mega powerful Intel CPU) either that or I'll go look up some overclock guides.
(10-06-2015, 04:14 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]AMD CPUs are garbage for Dolphin. You need a huge overclock to get decent speeds with that CPU. In fact, a 4th gen Core i3 can beat your current AMD FX very easily regarding Dolphin performance...

One more question, what speed would I need to overclock it to?
As high of an overclock as you can go
If you buy i7 4790k , you won't need to overclock . It has turbo boost feature that boost its stock speed to 4.4GHz
i7 6770k is a bit faster but its max turbo is only 4.2GHz
See Dolphin Benchmark here :
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1027
Dolphin is a dual core app . AMD CPU is great for encoding task because you can fully use 8 cores but each core is weak . That's why Dolphin and some single threaded programs don't run well on AMD CPUs
Base on Dolphin benchmark , you will have to overclock your FX 8320 to 4.5GHz to keep up with an i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz or Pentium Haswell @ 3.4GHz
Can you verify that your GPU is in the high performance mode? Especially super mario galaxy uses the GPU in a way which looks like "idle" for the driver, so they may sleep most of the time :/
Thanks everyone! I think I'll end up overclocking, and if it doesn't work, Christmas isn't far away. I'd probably just get an i7 4790K. Smile