Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Multi core question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I had a lot of physical cores and had several cores only running dolphin would several nearly dedicated running at 3Ghz be good enough to run dolphin Or would it bottleneck a high end graphics card
Dolphin only uses two cores at most under normal circumstances (3 if your game needs LLE audio), so having a machine with more than four cores doesn't help Dolphin at all. It only allows you to run other programs in the background more effectively while Dolphin is active.
If I had two cores that were dedicated to dolphin would they run it?
I don't get what you're saying at all
Dolphin can be run on any processor that supports SSE2 . Even if your CPU was single core processor , Dolphin would still be able to run on it
However , if you want most games to be playable on your PC , you will need a very fast processor
Current high-end laptop/mobile CPUs like i7 4720HQ / i7 5700HQ / i7 6700MQ are only as fast as i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz which is ok for most games , not for some demanding games
If you want to run demanding games at full speed without lag . Those mobile CPUs won't cut it , you will need a desktop CPU like i7 4690k @ 4.4GHz , i7 4790k or Pentium 20th Anniversary G3258 @ 4.6GHz
20 physical cores running at 3 ghz or 16 physical cores running at 3.4 ghz. Which is better
For dolphin 3.4 GHz assuming the are the same architecture.
Also both have a 25 man memory cache
25 mb*
OMG , what is this ?
Dolphin only uses 2 cores . Even if you had 100 cores processor , it still run the same speed as dual core in Dolphin
If you don't know how to read , I quote it for you
Quote:Dolphin only uses two cores at most under normal circumstances (3 if your game needs LLE audio), so having a machine with more than four cores doesn't help Dolphin at all. It only allows you to run other programs in the background more effectively while Dolphin is active.
tl;dr: Faster cores > number of cores

for dolphin.