Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin slow down on OS X El Capitan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't really know where to post this, but I just wanted to mention that I've experienced larger slow downs on my Mac Mini 2012. It ran the games in Dolphin at max speed just fine before the update, but after I updated XCode to XCode 7 with the latest El Capitan system update included (OS X 10.11), everything just seemed slower in Dolphin. Though the computer is generally faster now. I'm using the latest development build of Dolphin - Dolphin 4.0 - 7888

Thanks Heart

franklinGeorge

(10-04-2015, 12:14 AM)HenrikoMagnifico Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really know where to post this, but I just wanted to mention that I've experienced larger slow downs on my Mac Mini 2012. It ran the games in Dolphin at max speed just fine before the update, but after I updated XCode to XCode 7 with the latest El Capitan system update included (OS X 10.11), everything just seemed slower in Dolphin. Though the computer is generally faster now. I'm using the latest development build of Dolphin - Dolphin 4.0 - 7888

Thanks  Heart

Chiming in to say that I too have experienced a very significant performance degradation since upgrading to El Capitan.

I skipped Yosemite (10.10) entirely and, until very recently, was running Mavericks (10.9.6) with Dolphin build 4.0-7816. Under that configuration, I was able to run many (but admittedly not all) games quite smoothly at 2x native resolution with 4x MSAA. After installing El Capitan, I now need to scale back to native resolution with no AA to maintain a playable experience for many of those games (still using Dolphin 4.0-7816). Some games are now completely unplayable. I know that Apple sometimes takes a couple steps back with their graphics drivers after a new OS X release, and I'm really hoping that's all this is. Either way, I don't feel like downgrading at this point, so I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Still, I'd love to hear an explanation if anyone out there can offer one.
Are you building Dolphin, or do you download it from the website?

I'm building my own and the performance is the same for me.
I'd like to pitch in and say i can't max wind waker even at 1x internal resolution,  which I could easily do on 10.10
(10-04-2015, 12:14 AM)HenrikoMagnifico Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really know where to post this, but I just wanted to mention that I've experienced larger slow downs on my Mac Mini 2012. It ran the games in Dolphin at max speed just fine before the update, but after I updated XCode to XCode 7 with the latest El Capitan system update included (OS X 10.11), everything just seemed slower in Dolphin. Though the computer is generally faster now. I'm using the latest development build of Dolphin - Dolphin 4.0 - 7888

Thanks  Heart

Same problem for me on my mac mini 2011. Very slow ... Angry
maybe an idea...

with dolphin 3.5 OpenGL is in 2.1 version and no lagging problem with elcappitan
with dolphin 4 or > OpenGL is in 4.1 version.

any solution to force OpenGL 2.1 with last version of dolphin ?
(10-30-2015, 03:18 AM)amuller Wrote: [ -> ]maybe an idea...

with dolphin 3.5 OpenGL is in 2.1 version and no lagging problem with elcappitan
with dolphin 4 or > OpenGL is in 4.1 version.

any solution to force OpenGL 2.1 with last version of dolphin ?

No.

fearlessjusaki

Don't know if this is the place for this, probably it was mentioned before, but Zelda TP is showing bad textures on water (Same thing happens in other games I have, not gonna mention which now) It happens whenever OGL plugin is used, considering I'm a Mac user, I have no other choice but to use this plugin. I'm using Dolphin 4.0 (Latest SVN Release, I'm updating all the time) and considering performance has been boosted allowing me to play most of my games at either 30 or 50 FPS as meant to, I can't seem to be able to fix this problem no matter the the settings (I've played around with them to see this problem solved) Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? I appreciate your help in advance. I'll post a screenshot just in case it becomes required; never the less, I think this must have been discussed before somewhere in this thread; my apologies for not reading through it.
Your issue seems to be totally unrelated. JosJuice (and I) have responded to you in the Twilight Princess game thread.
Thanks everyone, this was solved when I updated to the latest software update for OS X. Thanks Smile