Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: building my first gaming rig
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone. Im thinking of building my first gaming pc next year around February. Did tons of research and wanting to get an i5 4690 (non k version). As you can see im not planning to overclock since Ill be spending on the gpu thinking of getting a Radeon R9 38 4.gb I am fully aware that dolphins all about cpu however, with the non k version at a maximum turbo boost of 3.9 ghz for the cpu. Ill buy an aftermarket cpu cooler anyways since i live in a tropical country. Will that be enough to run high end games like mario galaxy 2 at 1080p 60fps without so much stuttering. Im on quite a tight budget since Ill also buy a 1080p monitor but I can stretch the cpu if i5 4690 doesnt meet the standard of high end dolphin games.
(10-02-2015, 04:08 AM)Inging17 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone. Im thinking of building my first gaming pc next year around February. Did tons of research and wanting to get an i5 4690 (non k version). As you can see im not planning to overclock since Ill be spending on the gpu thinking of getting a Radeon R9 38 4.gb I am fully aware that dolphins all about cpu however, with the non k version at a maximum turbo boost of 3.9 ghz for the cpu. Ill buy an aftermarket cpu cooler anyways since i live in a tropical country. Will that be enough to run high end games like mario galaxy 2 at 1080p 60fps  without so much stuttering. Im on quite a tight budget since Ill also buy a 1080p monitor but I can stretch the cpu if i5 4690 doesnt meet the standard of high end dolphin games.

i would strongly advise you to get a K series..a cpu without the ability to overclock for a gaming rig is not a good thing and 3.9ghz is not going to be enough for those kind of games..unless your not fused about graphics.. i can tell you from past experince that having a 7970ghz and an i5 3570k at 4.2ghz was not enough to give me consistant framerate without audio stutter on games like xenoblade and the last story at 1080p with anything higher then 2x unless i enabled efb to texture... my current setup now can run most games at 4k with IR of x6 and above with efb copys to texture disabled. allso i would suggest you get a solid PSU and motherbord first.  spending alot on graphics card without a good quality powersupply and motherbord is not a good idea. im not trying to hate just being realistic. 
... What.

I *have* a K series CPU, 4790k, and I haven't overclocked because I don't need to. Additionally, gaming rigs see little benefits from overclocking the CPU. Stop needlessly inflating their budget. I see that happen a lot with build recommendations. Yes it would be *better*, but so would a GTX 980 TI or whatever it is! Why stop there!? Lets tell him to get an extreme series CPU!

Anyways, OP, your CPU is fine. I'm not a fan of AMD GPUs myself, but that's fine too unless you like to use Linux.
Ok if I have to get the k version then Ill prob get the skylake i5 6600k since its almost the same price as the 4690k. However, the mobo would need to be a bit more pricy. If i overclock the 6600k at 4.5 ghz will that be enough to run high end games 60 fps 1080p smoothly?
Yes it will.