Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New dolphin build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

QWERTYAndreas

Hi
I am currently considering Building a cheap HTPC/steambox where i intend to run dolphin too.

Since it is a HTPC in my livingroom i dont want it to be too large. So i would like to avoid a dedicated GPU if possible

I thougth about Building in a Cooltek Coolcube mini, with a AMD 7870K.

However, i am not sure wether it will be fast enough for dolphin. It will be used fr mariokart double dash, and maybe marioparty - both with 4 players, using coltrollers.

Will the AMD 7870K be fast enough with 2133MHz RAM?

Best regards

Andreas
APU owner here . My ITX build with A10 6790k @ 5.0GHz (2133MHz RAM) is fast enough for most game . Not sure about 4 players though ....I haven't try it yet . If you only play game at 2xIR or 2.5xIR (720p or higher) , I think A10 7850k @ 4.6GHz will be fast enough
You will lose performance by half if you choose 3xIR or 4xIR (1080p)
But honestly , you should choose G3258 + GTX 750 instead . An Oced G3258 @ 4.5GHz doesn't need aftermarket cooler , stock cooler is fine since it run cool and it should be twice as fast as any APU in Dolphin . GTX 750 can handle 4xIR and it run extremely quite , stay cool even at full load
[Image: 65161.png]
There are suitable cards for HTPC cases. Look into low profile cards.
If you want a htpc, I'd recommend getting an alienware alpha i3. They go for like 400$ and some upgrades would be easy(and cheap) to do. They also run dolphin fairly well, I have seen it firsthand that it runs brawl fine( I don't own one but one of my friends do. I am debating between getting a g3528 build or the alpha)
Build it yourself. The G3528 is much better for dolphin, will probably run other games fine, and you get more flexibility than the Alpha. There are many HTPC and Mini ITX cases to choose from.