Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Problem with Virtual Console games not saving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am having a problem with my Virtual Console game saves. I can create an in-game save for Phantasy Star 1 and 2. But when I stop emulation, all of my saves are gone/not recognized the next time I start the game. Huh Is there a setting I am missing? I am using Dolphin 4.0-7620.
this reminds me of an issue that I can't seem to find on the bugtracker...
Does this happen if instead of stopping emulation you press the home button and return to the system menu and then stop emulation?
Now that's odd. I tried your method with going to the Wii System Menu before ending emulation for Phantasy Star 2, and it worked. Not only that, I no longer lose my saves for Phantasy Star 2 when I end emulation directly from that game. Thank you. Big Grin

But my other Virtual Console games still have the same problem. Does this mean that it is necessary for me to repeat your method for every Virtual Console game? Or is it some other issue?
cool, glad it worked!

Sadly I think you will need to repeat for every game.
The issue with VC games is the 'save' function either runs when you return to the sysmenu, or the console is powering down.

Dolphin does not correctly emulate the hook used by the game to save at powerdown. The same issue will occur on a real wii if you were to unplug it instead of using the power button.

Technical details for anyone wanting to implement, I started about 18months ago, but busy with other things
game will register function by issuing 'IOCTL_STM_EVENTHOOK = 0x1000' to /dev/stm
this function should be run on either powerdown or reset
Okay, I'll be sure to repeat your method for the rest of my Virtual Console games.

You mentioned that this Virtual Console save issue is caused by Dolphin lacking a certain feature. Is there a way to bring this problem up on Dolphin's Issue Tracker? The Issue Tracker does not seem to be on Google Code anymore.
I thought it was on the issue tracker, but I looked for it in my email archives and realized that I only discussed the issue in a PM on irc

JMC47: Do you remember the details of this issue?
I'll write up an issue report.

EDIT: https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/8979
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your help with this. In the meantime, I'll keep track of the issue report that JMC47 created.