Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can dolphin run on an Alienware Alpha
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi everyone. I am looking into getting an Alienware alpha the i5 model. This is the link. Do you think it will be able to run even the most demanding games on dolphin?

The video card that is uses is GeForce 860m

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productde...a/dkcwa07h
There are definitely games that it won't be able to handle at full speed, but provided it doesn't overheat, the majority will be fine.
(09-21-2015, 11:00 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]There are definitely games that it won't be able to handle at full speed, but provided it doesn't overheat, the majority will be fine.

Is this due to the processor or the video card? They do offer an i7 version. I would like to be able run twilight princess at at least 30fps in 1080p
Due to the speed of the CPU
Both the i5 and i7 will perform the same in Dolphin because they run at the same clock speed.
(09-21-2015, 11:59 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Due to the speed of the CPU
Both the i5 and i7 will perform the same in Dolphin because they run at the same clock speed.

Do you think it will run twilight princess at 30fps or should I consider getting something at clock speed higher than 3.0.

So I don't have to go higher than that GPU correct. Just upgrade the CPU
Quote:Just upgrade the CPU
Just don't . Do you realize the alienware alpha is paired with ix-4xxxT processor ? It's a low power consumption processor (35W)
Putting a high-end CPU like i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz(88W) will heat up your alienware like a boiling frog
If it even uses the same socket.
(09-21-2015, 03:40 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Just upgrade the CPU
Just don't . Do you realize the alienware alpha is paired with ix-4xxxT processor ? It's a low power consumption processor (35W)
Putting a high-end CPU like i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz(88W) will heat up your alienware like a boiling frog

Ok. So if I scratch the Alienware alpha, what processor and video card should I go with. It doesn't have to be the best one in the world but just enough to make the games playable on dolphin.

Sucks that the Alienware alpha can't handle it
Just try to get a "hot" up-to-date intel CPU. Desktop CPUs are best, but if you have to choose a mobile one, maybe i5-6440HQ ?
I personally don't like the Intel GPUs. Their driver just has too much CPU overhead. I like the GM204 chip (GTX 965M+), but AMD is also fine.
(09-21-2015, 11:10 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]Just try to get a "hot" up-to-date intel CPU. Desktop CPUs are best, but if you have to choose a mobile one, maybe i5-6440HQ ?
I personally don't like the Intel GPUs. Their driver just has too much CPU overhead. I like the GM204 chip (GTX 965M+), but AMD is also fine.

It can be a Desktop CPU. But my overall goal is to either buy a system that is similar to the alienware alpha or to build one myself. I just want to make sure i get the right parts and that they will all be able to fit into a smaller case.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Pages: 1 2 3