Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Zelda Skyward sword too slow? or is it my Mac?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Grasshopper

So i wanted to play skyward sword on my macbook pro (mid 2012). But whenever i starts up i get 15-20 FPS. I was using the lowest settings each time! But when ever i play it on my iMac (mid 2011) It works perfectly even with 1080p! I want to hook up my macbook to my tv so i can play on a big screen. PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY MACBOOK! Huh
What CPU do you have in the macbook pro?
It's very common for laptops to have a slower CPU compared to desktops.

Grasshopper

(09-20-2015, 05:34 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]What CPU do you have in the macbook pro?
How do i find out?
(09-20-2015, 05:10 AM)Grasshopper Wrote: [ -> ]So i wanted to play skyward sword on my macbook pro (mid 2012). But whenever i starts up i get 15-20 FPS. I was using the lowest settings each time! But when ever i play it on my iMac (mid 2011) It works perfectly even with 1080p! I want to hook up my macbook to my tv so i can play on a big screen. PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY MACBOOK! Huh

Desktops usually have no problems running Dolphin.

the issue might be your laptops CPU (and in some rare cases. The GPU)
This can be caused by the amount of GHz your laptops CPU is clocked at. and the Voltage it runs at.(usually one or the other. not both)
Most modern laptops have a CPU clocked at 2.4GHz all the way up to 3.5GHz (rare cases. you order a laptop from a custom retailer. in which the CPU might be 2.4GHz all the way up to 4GHz) i have a laptop from 2013. runs dolphin on many games just fine (Exception of TP being laggy in hyrule field) clocked at 2.4GHz to 3.2GHz (very decent.)

another issue can be the bandwith speed your CPU can handle (And in rare(and common) cases. the GPU not having enough bandwith)

Another nother issue can be how many cores your CPU has.

Another issue can be heat

TL;DR.
laptops are problematic for Dolphin.
(09-23-2015, 01:52 PM)KillRoXx Wrote: [ -> ]Desktops usually have no problems running Dolphin.

Tell that to AMD systems.

Also, the rest of your post is pretty weird and lols.

OP, OS X Dolphin isn't known for being all that great. On top of that, laptops usually have to worry about thermals so thermal throttling is very common. If you want the ideal solution, use Bootcamp and dual boot Windows 7 or 8.1, and check temps of your CPU. If they're something silly like 80c+ I'd look into getting a cooling pad or something. Unfortunately, beyond that there's not much you can do.
(09-23-2015, 03:41 PM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-23-2015, 01:52 PM)KillRoXx Wrote: [ -> ]Desktops usually have no problems running Dolphin.

Tell that to AMD systems.

Also, the rest of your post is pretty weird and lols.

OP, OS X Dolphin isn't known for being all that great. On top of that, laptops usually have to worry about thermals so thermal throttling is very common. If you want the ideal solution, use Bootcamp and dual boot Windows 7 or 8.1, and check temps of your CPU. If they're something silly like 80c+ I'd look into getting a cooling pad or something. Unfortunately, beyond that there's not much you can do.

i tend to ramble.
also i went into cooling pads in another post.
They tend to work (And don't work) sometimes bringing the temps down 5-10C
i still suggest replacing the thermal paste on both chips.