Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: HTPC Build query
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

dmjohn0x

So, I'm building a MicroATX HTPC build. I'd like to do some emulation on the machine and am pretty confident I can emulate up to Dreamcast.

What I'm wondering is if I'll be able to play most Gamecube titles? Bonus if I can play Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles.

System Specs I'm looking at are as follows:

Windows 10 x64
Intel i3 3120M @ 2.5ghz
Intel HD 4000
16gb Crucial RAM @ 1600mhz
256gb Kingston SSD

I had thought about PS2 Emulation but If I recall correctly, Dolphin now runs better on slower hardware than PCSX2 due to better optimization.
What ? You said you're building a mATX build and you're looking at a build that doesn't look like a desktop to me
Quote:Intel i3 3120M @ 2.5ghz
M = Mobile/Laptop CPU
Are you kidding me ?

dmjohn0x

I mean, Im building a htpc on a budget here. Not building a new gaming rig, brother. Also trying to keep the size down to a small form factor. After looking, I see I can get a miniPC with the same specs (barebones from Amazon). Taking into account RAM and SDD, I'll be right around that $300 mark with a wireless 360 controller. I understand I'm not going to be anywhere near able to upscale with settings maxxed etc. Not looking to do that anyway.

From research I've done online, the i3 3120m @ 2.5ghz out-performs the previous gen i3 @ 2.9ghz. And I'm sure that it outdoes my last PC's e8400 processor. Though maybe not once I OC'd to 3.8ghz which ran Dolphin not quite at 1080p with little issue. This has been quite a long time ago and I've read that optimization from 3.0 to 4.0 now has progressed leaps and bounds.

I'm not looking to upscale the internal resolution to 1080p or anything. I've even read people using the same hardware has Dolphin running. They just don't say how well. My biggest thing is I'm not sure if specs vary from GC Emulation and Wii emulation.

ZBox-i83 (Refurb $189)
http://www.amazon.com/i3-3120M-2-5GHz-Ba...B00BBDKVSG

Honestly, for the price... I'll probably just buy it and see how far I can push it... even if that box is ugly as fuck.
Quote:From research I've done online, the i3 3120m @ 2.5ghz out-performs the previous gen i3 @ 2.9ghz
No , not even close . Ivy Bridge is only 5% faster than Sandy Bridge
5% is very generous of me . In Dolphin Benchmark , it's only 2% faster . Anandtech's server is down atm , i can't not link it directly , may be later then
Haswell is the only thing that make huge difference in Dolphin : 30% improvement over Ivy bridge
I have i5 4300M @ 3.2GHz (HD 4600) which is as fast as i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz . It can run Xenoblade full speed at very low settings , The Last Story is out of the question
Your i3 3120m is slow . Don't even talk about 1080p , HD 4000 barely handle 2xIR (720p) . In most case , 1.5xIR (480p) is all for the best .
Also Intel HD driver is the worst for Dolphin , you will have graphic glitches in some games

dmjohn0x

Ah, thanks. Xenoblade and Last Story was more of a pipedream anyway. I have a Wii anyway. Id just wondered how far I could push that system. Do you think GC is a stretch? Mostly interested in Wind Waker, Tales of Symphonia, and Skies of Arcadia.
Well , most lightweight Wii/GC games will run fine , include the game you listed above . Xenoblade isn't a demanding game , some scenes in the game are just too demanding for your CPU . The Last Story is the most demanding game , my i5 4300M can run it full speed most of the time but still have some hiccup at demanding scenes . I guess HD 4600 is the one drag me down , i believe having a dedicated GPU will help me a lot though