Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Stereoscopic 3D question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Kryt0s

Hey guys, I just have a really fast question:

Does Dolphin use Half Side-by-Side or Full Side-by-Side. That's it.

Hope you can help Smile
Internally, we use a full resolution framebuffer per eye, but at the end, we need a way to present both images. We support lots of different ways, eg side-by-side and up-down, but they have to reduce the resolution by two.

OpenGL quad buffers are not implemented, but also not supported by any driver but very professionals. But this would be an easy task.

Our D3D backend does support some kind of full resolution output, but I've lost the name ....
(09-11-2015, 05:53 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]Our D3D backend does support some kind of full resolution output, but I've lost the name ....

Do you mean Nvidia 3D Vision? It's frame sequential 3D, with each eye receiving a full resolution frame (although these 3D Vision 2 monitors usually have checkerboard artifacts (caused by inversion) that make it look like it has a somewhat lower resolution).
Most 3DTVs use polarization layers which don't benefit from full resolution stereoscopic images since it will interleave them anyway. To get the best resolution out of your display use a mode that matches the direction of the polarization layer. Most of them have polarization layers that consist of horizontal lines, so they will benefit most from Top-and-Bottom mode.

For shutter glasses only Nvidia 3D Vision is currently supported, when you select that mode Full Side-by-Side frames will be rendered and sent to the Nvidia drivers. The Nvidia drivers will show each side of these frames sequentially to get the 3D effect for shutter glasses.

But as degasus mentioned, internally they're always rendered at full resolution.