Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need cpu cooler advice and more
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I'm planning on buying a new mobo soon, so I can OC my cpu, as well as upgrade to DDR3 from DDR2.

The cpu I will be placing in it is a q9550 2.83 quad core, and the motherboard is an ASRock G41C-GS R2.0

Question is what do I need to overclock my cpu to So that I can play games like Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, and even more hardware demanding games if any.

I just replaced a 2.4ghz quad with the one mentioned above, and twilight princes still lags a little even in the area where the bird sells stuff. Wind waker lags, not much, Skyward sword lags seemingly every 2-5 seconds except during cutscenes all in 1xIR

I want to be able to play every game possible in 2x internal resolution with texture filtering, and efb upscaled at 60fps.
So, would my graphics card capable as well? Gt 730 4gb 128bit DDR3.
Lastly is the cooler master hyper T4 ideal for the over clocking I should be doing?

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=35-103-182

Not looking to water cool since every time I see someone getting one it's like they are buying 3-5 other parts just so it can function, and this is like my overclocking cherry we are talking about. Trying to keep it on a small budget, as much as I can while aiming for quality.
Quote:Trying to keep it on a small budget, as much as I can while aiming for quality
Not sure about that . Core 2 Quad Q9550 is not unlocked CPU which means you will have to overclock via BCLK
By doing that you will destroys all components except GPU
Unlocked CPU can be overclocked via multiplier which is 100% safe as long as you keep Vcore under 1.35V
BCLK OC is not safe and you will not be able to squeeze much power out of it anyway
Quote: I want to be able to play every game possible in 2x internal resolution with texture filtering, and efb upscaled at 60fps.
Not possible . Core 2 Quad is too old for the job . Keep in mind that Dolphin is a dual core app , a slow Quad Core is worse than a fast Dual Core
That CPU is way too old. Get a newer one.

As for the CPU, I use a CM Hyper 212+ in my system. Works well.
Well that's unfortunate. I thought the only thing locking the cpu would be the mobo. That CM hyper 212+ does look a lot like a better choice. As far as cheaper faster dual cores go I'd rather get a faster quad core since I plan on using whatever gets built for more than dolphin. I'd prefer to stick to intel as well so I guess back to the drawing board
get an i3 or an i5 or something.
A Pentium G3258 will beat what you were going to put in there across the board.
Quote: As far as cheaper faster dual cores go I'd rather get a faster quad core since I plan on using whatever gets built for more than
You're wrong unfortunately . At stock speed , Q9550 is not faster than latest Dual Core Pentium 20th Anniversary G3258 in any benchmark (multi-threaded bench included)
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G3...Quad-Q9550
Haswell is 4th generation ahead of Wolfdale
At 4.6GHz , G3258 will blow away OCed Q9550
Then that is what I will get, and oc thanks for the advice man