Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mario Kart Double Dash netplay replay fix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm hoping that this is the correct area to discuss this and that there isn't already a thread on this (although I didn't find one).

Recently, I had been playing Mario Kart Double Dash online and recorded some .dtm replays but ran into some issues that are not present when recording offline. Offline, I wouldn't get a desync, even with dual core on, while recording or playing back a replay, but if the dtm was recorded online, I would get a desync in the first race if I left dual core on in the header (even though dual core was on during netplay). When playing back the .dtm made during netplay, I would usually get farther in the replay if I edited the header so that dual core was off, but it would still desync partway through. Fortunately, I was able to find a way to get around this problem.

I would first edit the header to turn off dual core, and at the very beginning of playing back the replay, I would create a save state. Then, after making sure dual core is on, I go to netplay and host the game by myself, start the game and try to load the state. This might temporarily freeze the game. Then I close the netplay window and the emulator asks me if I want to stop emulation and I click no. Finally, I load the state yet again and the replay should be playing correctly with dual core on and shouldn't desync at any point.

So far, Double Dash is the only Gamecube game I've tested doing this. I also tried this on Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl but was unsuccessful at fixing the desync so far, although I never tested those two offline to know if the replays work there with dual core on.
Edit: I have since gotten this to work on both Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl doing the above trick. I needed to first delete the tmp folder located in Dolphin Emulator\Wii for it to work, though.

The versions of Dolphin I have tried this on are 6885 and 7409 on Windows. I realize this is all a little messy, but I hope it can be understood.

Edit 2: All I needed to do was play the replay with deterministic dual core (in game properties) set to "fake-completion". That makes this whole topic pointless.