Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Opengl vs directx11 - I am confused
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Tomhell

Hello,

I run on win 8.1 and nvidia gt750m. Some people say opengl is faster and better ( video quality) other people say directx11 is faster and better.
What is true?

Thanks for any help.
Tom
DirectX is just as accurate as OpenGL, but speed may differ depending on your card. NVIDIA cards tend to have better performance with DirectX, but still try both and see which one runs the best for you.
(09-07-2015, 10:53 AM)OatmealDome Wrote: [ -> ]DirectX is just as accurate as OpenGL, but speed may differ depending on your card. NVIDIA cards tend to have better performance with DirectX, but still try both and see which one runs the best for you.

Nvidia cards actually run better with OpenGL, you are thinking of AMD GPU's
Really? OGL tends to be more laggy for me and DX is more smoother.
NVIDIA user here, as far as I tested, OGL runs better than DX11...
And this is exactly why you should try both Tongue
Yes, try both. I was using opengl on nvidia gpu. And some games like wii sports resort, will get super stuttering at menu and intros, something like 10fps or less. With directx, 60fps.
Wii Sports runs better on D3D due to the EFB2RAM bloom effects.
Thanks, good to know!

Best thing is try both and test which one fit better with your games.

I didnt like the ogl experience on my side. Anyway, with directx and wii sports resort, I get some warning/crashes from time to time...
Ive had far greater success in the RS games using D3D. But Metroid runs better with OGL. Using both to find what is better is best practice.
Pages: 1 2