Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Concerning my laptop hardware...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Lavos99z

Is there any way I could get my laptop to run Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness at a steady 30 FPS?

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Intel Core i3-4030U Processor
4GB DDR3L RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4400

I know it's a pretty mediocre laptop. My desktop actually stands a much better chance, but it's all AMD hardware and I know that's not good for Dolphin even now. I was hoping someone might know how to help me out on the forums.
You have an ultra low wattage CPU. Probably not.
Your laptop is hopeless but your desktop is not
Overclock your FX 6300 if you want to run most games well . Don't trust AMD Turbo Core , it will never work
See more info here
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-am...#pid383645

Lavos99z

(09-07-2015, 03:35 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Your laptop is hopeless but your desktop is not
Overclock your FX 6300 if you want to run most games well . Don't trust AMD Turbo Core , it will never work
See more info here
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-am...#pid383645

I've never overclocked before, and I only have what was in the computer when I got it. How should I start? I don't wanna damage my system.
If you don't do any voltage modifications you probably won't damage your hardware. You can probably turn off turbo in BIOS and mess with the multiplier to get it to the speed you want. I'd bump it up one or two multiplier numbers and run Prime95 to check stability for 10 minutes or so each time, until you get a setting that crashes your system or you find yourself comfortable with the overclock. If your system crashes, bring the multiplier down two notches and test again, should be stable.

You might be able to start your test at 4.1 ghz since thats what it turbos to.

admin89 will know MUCH more about this than me. I don't overclock much.

Lavos99z

(09-07-2015, 07:50 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't do any voltage modifications you probably won't damage your hardware. You can probably turn off turbo in BIOS and mess with the multiplier to get it to the speed you want. I'd bump it up one or two multiplier numbers and run Prime95 to check stability for 10 minutes or so each time, until you get a setting that crashes your system or you find yourself comfortable with the overclock. If your system crashes, bring the multiplier down two notches and test again, should be stable.

You might be able to start your test at 4.1 ghz since thats what it turbos to.

admin89 will know MUCH more about this than me. I don't overclock much.

How do I "bump up the multipliers"? Sorry, just never done this and don't want to make any rash decisions.

EDIT: I also already turned off Turbo.
Multiplier = CPU ratio
Increase Vcore (CPU's voltage) in order to push multiplier higher but the more voltage you increase the more damage your CPU will receive . AMD FX series's Vcore is not the same as my AMD APU's Vcore , i can't tell much but please don't set Vcore = 1.43V or higher (Max safe Vcore for Intel CPU is completely differrent : 1.35V)
BCLK = Baseclock . Do not change BCLK . If you do , the whole computer will die slowly . In the past , you could only overclock Core 2 Quad/duo , Phenom , non-k first gen Intel i3/i5/i7 through BCLK . BCLK OC = overclock all components . My A10 6790k's BCLK = 100MHz , i don't even touch it
Do some research about oc before doing sth rash . Google "OC for beginner" or "FX 6300 OC Guide" or sth
I've done overclocks on intel chips without touching voltages. Is the same possible with AMD chips? I just messed with the multiplier until I was happy
Yes , you can do the same thing with AMD CPU

Lavos99z

I'll see what can be done. The game is chugging in certain areas. Drops to 14 FPS and 14 VPS in one place (it's cringey). Playable though if I avoid the area, and I can. I'll think about researching OC'ing, thanks guys.