Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Processor Decision Please Advise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Gamer35

Hi,

Question:
Will one of the processors listed below be sufficient to run most games at 2x resolution?

NOTE: Based on my research an i5 is not required.

My Build:
i3 4170 @ 3.70 GHz or i3 4370 @ 3.8 GHz
Gigabyte LGA 1150 Z97 GA-Z97M-D3H
Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB Kit (2GBx2) DDR3 1600
WD Blue 1TB Desktop 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm
EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti SC 2GB
EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 80 Plus Gold

Thank you for your help,

Gamer35
get the Pentium G3258, it's better for Dolphin and significantly cheaper than the ones you listed. also, there are no different requirements for hardware for wii games than gamecube games, some gamecube games are more demanding than most wii games and visa versa

Gamer35

(09-05-2015, 08:12 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]get the Pentium G3258, it's better for Dolphin and significantly cheaper than the ones you listed. also, there are no different requirements for hardware for wii games than gamecube games, some gamecube games are more demanding than most wii games and visa versa

I have seen that suggestion before, but it would require me to over-clock which I do not want to do. I did not know the requirements were the same. Which of the processors would be sufficient to play most game such as the ones listed above?
why don't you want to overclock...? just bring it to like 4.2

Gamer35

(09-05-2015, 08:46 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]why don't you want to overclock...? just bring it to like 4.2

One of my concerns is temperature and power consumption. If I over-clock my computer will use more power and produce more heat. I have had issues with my room getting pretty hot because of the computer. I want to keep power consumption and heat as low as possible.
Well, i can run Twilight Princess on a Pentium G620 2.6GHz perfectly fine at 3x IR. Wind Waker at 2x IR as well. SOA, Mario Kart wii/Gamecube, Donkey Kong, Mario Bros... All of them running 100%. I am using HLE sound, though. There are some more demanding games which i haven't tested, but i assume that a newer Pentium G series processor with a default clock of 3.6GHz would be more than enough on a GeForce GTX 750Ti, which is even faster than my GPU, btw.

But if you plan on running next gen PC games, you probably will need a quad core CPU to be as much "future proof" as possible, as some games are now requiring 4 cores to work. Plus, PSX2 emulation works better with 3 cores or more.
You should get a new Skylake CPU. Intel just announced their new products.