Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need help with virtual games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I am trying to get one of my virtual game "Pokémon Snap" to work on the dolphin.
So far I purchased my wii purchased, and pokemon snap. Installed homebrew channel and backed up NAND which I have no idea what crap NAND is something to do with the system menu and other stuff? I already got my physical games to work like eternal darkness and spiderman but when it comes to the virtual games I am stuck. I read multiple threads and watched some youtube videos and still confused. The last thing I got to work is the Wii system menu to work on the Dolphin and I am running dolphin 4.0-7528

Thank you
You're going to want to use a program that can extract the .wad files from either your NAND backup or from the Wii itself, because Dolphin can play .wad files directly just as if it was a .iso of a game disc.
(09-05-2015, 06:55 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]You're going to want to use a program that can extract the .wad files from either your NAND backup or from the Wii itself, because Dolphin can play .wad files directly just as if it was a .iso of a game disc.

That, or you can put the NAND in Dolphin and run the channel from the system menu. WADs aren't everything there is Tongue
Sure, WADs are easier to launch in Dolphin, but if you already have a NAND dump but not WADs, making WADs would be extra effort.

(09-05-2015, 06:49 AM)orunj Wrote: [ -> ]Installed homebrew channel and backed up NAND which I have no idea what crap NAND is something to do with the system menu and other stuff?

The NAND memory contains everything that's on your console, like the system menu, channels, and save files.

(09-05-2015, 06:49 AM)orunj Wrote: [ -> ]The last thing I got to work is the Wii system menu to work on the Dolphin and I am running dolphin 4.0-7528

If you've managed to run the system menu from your NAND dump (and not from installing a system menu WAD from somewhere), everything is set up correctly. If you had Pokémon Snap on your Wii when making the NAND dump, you should now be able to run it directly from the system menu. If you didn't, it's more complicated, because Dolphin doesn't support channels on SD cards. Either make a new NAND dump that includes Pokémon Snap, or make a WAD of the game like KHg8m3r suggested.
Thank you guys for replying so quickly Smile I would like to learn both ways. I did have Pokémon Snap installed before I did the NAND dump. So I am guessing I some how Missed up somewhere on the placement of the NAND on the computer? I used the NUS Downlder, not sure if I need that program but I saw it on a youtube video.
Follow this guide to install your Wii's NAND to Dolphin. (Note that any existing Wii save files made by Dolphin may be overwritten, I'm not entirely sure)
Pokémon Snap is working! I followed that guide before but didn't replace the files within the Wii\shared2 but didn't read it correctly its just don't replace Wii\shared2\sys\SYSCONF. So I guess that's what was stopping me. So if I want to get Pokémon Snap or any other virtual game that is on my wii to show up in the dolphin game list I need to get a program to extract them from the NAND?

Thanks again everyone for the help!
(09-05-2015, 07:23 AM)orunj Wrote: [ -> ]I used the NUS Downlder, not sure if I need that program but I saw it on a youtube video.

The things it downloads are included in the NAND dump, so you don't need it. It's useful when you don't have a NAND dump and want to run the system menu, though.

(09-05-2015, 08:09 AM)orunj Wrote: [ -> ]So if I want to get Pokémon Snap or any other virtual game that is on my wii to show up in the dolphin game list I need to get a program to extract them from the NAND?

Yes, since Dolphin's game list only will show games in WAD form, not games that are installed on the NAND. I don't know if there are any programs that let you extract WADs on PCs, but there are definitely ones that work on Wiis.