Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Just upgraded to Windows 10 Pro x64 a few weeks ago.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Right. Windows 10. Pro. Cortana. Wallpapers. New Start Menu. Microsoft Edge. Store. More Stuff. How about Dolphin?
I've got Dolphin 5.0 rc-25 recently. It runs F-Zero GX pretty much fine on about 50-60 FPS(except Sand Ocean) with mild stutters. This is a HUGE performance boost compared to when I was using Windows 7 or 8. I usually use OpenGL, but sometimes also Direct3D just to test and both works fine. BUT, My DirectX version (on dxdiag) is still DirectX 11.2. I thought Windows 10 will include DirectX 12? How do I update it?
Dolphin doesn't have any improvements that are specific to DirectX 12 anyway.
DirectX 12 is already available on W10. Either you have to update your drivers or your VGA doesn't support DX12 at all and you are stuck with DX 11.2.

Besides, i think you are incorrect by assuming that you can combine both your intel HD Graphics and your Nvidia GeForce GT 620M for an extra punch. You can actually do this with DX 12, but both processors should be dx12 based and you also need a new motherboard to enable this feature. With your current laptop you have to choose between one of them on bios setup.

If your Geforce is a 128-bit memory GPU, enabling it will probably give you a massive improvement over the current Intel HD 4000 as the bandwidth of a dedicated video card can be much faster.
(09-04-2015, 08:41 AM)Genesis Wrote: [ -> ]DirectX 12 is already available on W10. Either you have to update your drivers or your VGA doesn't support DX12 at all and you are stuck with DX 11.2.

Besides, i think you are incorrect by assuming that you can combine both your intel HD Graphics and your Nvidia GeForce GT 620M for an extra punch. You can actually do this with DX 12, but both processors should be dx12 based and you also need a new motherboard to enable this feature. With your current laptop you have to choose between one of them on bios setup.

If your Geforce is a 128-bit memory GPU, enabling it will probably give you a massive improvement over the current Intel HD 4000 as the bandwidth of a dedicated video card can be much faster.
I'm pretty sure I need to update my driver. BTW, My Geforce GT 620M has only 1 GB memory. How in the world the dxdiag listed it as 2919 memory?
My GT 620M also supports DX12. Look here : http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook...ifications
(09-04-2015, 07:38 PM)JovianPat Wrote: [ -> ]For some reason in Dxdiag the VGA Card is written as "Intel HD Graphics 4000"

I believe your OS is ignoring your Geforce card and is using your Intel HD instead. You have to access your BIOS setup and try to change it to Geforce 620, by disabling integrated graphics. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

You can try opening your Control Panel and set the Geforce 620 as your primary card under Appearance And Personalization / Display / Adjust Resolution.

Then, run Dxdiag again and see what happens.

That ridiculous amount of memory is the total memory that your GPU can have access through your entire PC system ram. If you add more memory to your PC, you will see that number increase as well.

Usually, the dedicated memory of an "offboard" VGA is much faster than the dedicated memory of an integrated graphic chip (such as the Intel series).

Geforce 620 has open GL 4.5 support, as opposed to your Intel chip which is stuck with Open GL 4.0. You can actually get an improvement on Dolphin with this alone, since the emulator use some open GL 4.4 tech.
DirectX 12 over DX 11 will not make any difference for you.

Switching to a dedicated VGA like Geforce 620 may increase the temperature and noise of your laptop and consume more battery, so keep an eye on it.
Both of you don't understand how nvidia optimus works
It's impossible to force Nvidia GPU running all the time
dxdiag ? Seriously, that's a simple tool , it will never work with nvidia optimus since your display gpu is intel hd , not nvidia gpu . Nvidia GPU is only enabled when you're running games
If you want to read your gpu's activity , use Nvidia Inspector
Next time please don't tell people to disable their Intel HD , it's suicide , keep in mind that laptop does not work the same way as desktop . You will have black screen and may not be able to recover
Well, this is interesting. Didn't know that. Maybe this is why some BIOS manufactures for laptops don't include this option at all. It may explain why he was already getting some very good FPS on F-zero GX. Smile
AFAIK nowadays the standard is rendering in discrete GPU then copying the finished frame to IGP framebuffer, and in that case there's no way to disable your IGP in BIOS. However, very few laptops (generally the expensive gaming laptops) still allow you to disable the IGP and use only the discrete GPU. In other words, if you own a laptop that isn't too old you probably won't be able to disable the IGP...
(09-05-2015, 10:35 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]AFAIK nowadays the standard is rendering in discrete GPU then copying the finished frame to IGP framebuffer, and in that case there's no way to disable your IGP in BIOS. However, very few laptops (generally the expensive gaming laptops) still allow you to disable the IGP and use only the discrete GPU. In other words, if you own a laptop that isn't too old you probably won't be able to disable the IGP...

I don't really care as long as it doesn't affect my laptop's performance. My laptop isn't a beast gaming laptop, so it's pretty much fine. This is my dxdiag and Nvidia inpector screenshot : http://i.imgur.com/6DZFT4B.png
On my Alienware 14 I can disable Nvidia Optimus by a switchable graphics button. My intel HD graphics are non-existent until I toggle them back... but that's only some laptops.
Pages: 1 2