Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Rogue Squadron games suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I opened a thread some time ago about the fact that it's impossible to reach full speed in those games, unless you have a 4.6 ghz at least or even more Skylake CPU. I tried Rogue Leader on 4.0-7396, performance was the same. However, when I disabled Idle Skipping, I was able to reach full speed. I only tested the Tatooine training level, and this needs further testing, but I will be happy if other users can try and confirm/deny this. Usually it's a speed up, but in this case it's maybe a slowdown. Question for the devs: if that's indeed the case, what does it mean about the engine of the games (besides that it's hard to emulate of course)?
It's not idleskipping that causes the slowdown, it's syncing on idleskipping. Without that, the game can become unstable.
(08-29-2015, 06:02 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]It's not idleskipping that causes the slowdown, it's syncing on idleskipping.  Without that, the game can become unstable.

Too bad, because I was able to reach full speed in Rebel Strike too. I have to say that Rebel Strike is a really good looking game, and i'm saying that after playing Ryse and Crysis 3. Do you think that the performance in those games will be fixed in the future? they are some of the most demanding games if not the most, probably due to their complexity right?

Edit: That's the reason that after a few times I opened the targeting computer the game crashed in one of the times I played?
It will get optimized over time it took 13 years to even get this playable on Dolphin "reliably". Besides only one level of rogue leader really has major slowdowns now.
(08-29-2015, 02:35 PM)IceStrike256 Wrote: [ -> ]It will get optimized over time it took 13 years to even get this playable on Dolphin "reliably".  Besides only one level of rogue leader really has major slowdowns now.

Easy for you to say with your 4790k at 4.7Ghz Smile 

The games are still very hard to run for anyone, especially when trying to get the picture as accurate as possible. 

Speedups that could help in the future is fixing, or rather implementing the custom uCode for RS2 and RS3 to get HLE working which should give a nice boost, since you won't need LLE. 

There also still are major slowdowns in all ground based levels and especially those with water, so something could be done there as well. 
Rebel Strike is actually fairly stable without sync on idle skip. The setting can be set via the ini for Rebel Strike. It's close to 30% faster for me, and I have it set via INI.
Lol guess your right Shrimp. Now would a 5930k not perform as well in dolphin as a 4790k?
(08-31-2015, 12:47 AM)IceStrike256 Wrote: [ -> ]Lol guess your right Shrimp.  Now would a 5930k not perform as well in dolphin as a 4790k?

Dolphin uses only 2 or 3 cores as far as I know, and since both are Haswell CPUs, your will fare better you overclocked it to 4.7GHZ compared to my 4.3GHZ overclock (Maybe I will overclock it to 4.4GHZ in the winter). I really interested in how Skylake performs in dolphin (6600k, 6700k), in GTA V the gains were huge compared to other games (something like 17% increase, compared to 10% in The Witcher 3 and smaller gains in other games). Haswell CPUs perform that well in dolphin becuase of AVX2?
BTW your PC is a beast Smile
Skylake isn't that much of a gain in dolphin you can see the benchmark in the unofficial benchmark thread.